Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Recommended Oil Filter for SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Recommended Oil Filter for SS

I believe the OEM filter for the HHR SS is the AC Delco PF457G.

I found the filter at Walmart for $8.88. Not a bad price compared to the other brand filters available for the SS at Walmart. But I did not buy it...and here is why:

Although the AC Delco filter element did appear to be just as good if not better than the others, the interior of the filter had a lot of plastic appearing it would restrict oil flow. As compared to the Fram filter which had much less plastic on the inner part of the filter.

Also, the AC Delco did not come with the big O-ring. I check several boxes and none had them. All other brands had the large O-ring included. I really would rather not reuse an O-ring.

Im nearing my first oil change since buying my 2010 SS used in June. So I need to make a filter decision soon. Any suggestions and ideas would help greatly!!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Compare it to the SuperTech filter..all the Delco's Ive seen the cap was crooked and excess glue..where thwe blue box filter looked much like a....Purolator....clean build, good filter median and good price..and O rings
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

AC Delco PF457G. @ Advance Auto $ 4.99 & You just have to open the box & make sure the Big 0-ring is in there..

If not ask the parts guy to get one from another box.. I always use a new 0-ring.

They came from the factory with an AC Delco..

And frams I wouldn't even consider.. They spend more on advertising than product improvement..
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM

I use the Delco as it is all the filter you need. It meets GM's standards with out question and will not be a factor if there is a warranty issue.

As long as GM is happy then you should be happy.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 AM

I understand the whole warranty thing and I probably will go with the Delco filter because it is inexpensive compared to the others.

BUT just because a car maker uses a part does not really impress me much. Case in point the really really junky tires on the SS. If the pavement is not bone dry, the traction is almost just about gone.

But thats a discussion for another forum. lol.

I agree with the whole Fram spending too much on advertising and passing the cost onto us. But the inside of the Fram filter looks so superior to the Delco for free flowing oil.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Delco....all the way. No one has proven to me that any one is better than the other. But I do stay without warranty arguments with an OEM.

And the OEM filter cap "rubber" ring is made of a special propriatary material that GM SAYS IN MOST INSTANCES will last the life of the car (most likely one oil change per year X 10 years). Competitors, in tests, couldn't even come close.

It's kind of like the gasket on the oil pan plug. If you're one of those people that continually have oil leaks at the plug gasket, you probably should change the oil cap ring as well. In the past 25 years, on my personal vehicles, (something like 15 vehicles) I have NEVER needed to replace the pan plug gasket. I did purchase about a dozen of the plug gaskets about 25 years ago and I still have 10.

After about 8 oil changes and filters on my HHR, I still have no leaks anywhere.

Oh, and by the way, Framm has generally been inferior to most all other brands.

EDIT>>>Oh forgot to say......do a search, there is MANY threads and related posts on this subject scattered through this forum. It seems that every newbee has had to ask this question on every car forum. Generally, the results are always the same.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Sorry, did not mean to repeat a subject. I did find other threads on which filter to use but not to the question I had......all the plastic inside the Delco filter which would appear to restrict flow.

As for any car maker refusing a warranty coverage because of a filter, Im not so sure that will stand up. If you do the change at the required intervals and use a name brand (as long as a specific one is not stated by the car maker) then you should be fine. Most car makers will rarely ever state a specific brand. They may recommend but thats not the same.

Just as the Mobil 1 is not required as much as it is recommended. The required oil is GM4718M which GM has approved about 10 different oils as passing the requirement. Using only Mobil 1 because GM recommends it is just the same as using a Fram filter because of all the ads. GM is basically doing advertising for Mobil 1.

Im not arguing with anyone here. Im only putting out food for thought and my thought was that the Delco did not really appear to be such a great filter because of the apparent oil restriction I saw on the inside of the filter. Im not a professional mechanic but oil restriction is never a good thing.

As for the O-ring missing from the boxes, I guess that was on purpose because the original O-ring can be reused?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Don't you think GM engineered the filter to the car.....geez !! How could it restrict the flow.....it's their design. I would be more worried about the competitions lack of flow, lack of oil pressure or increase of same, less filtering area, poorer and cheaper filtering media, etc. etc. That filter is used in over a million vehicles as OEM....and that doesn't even include the additional oil changes.

Are there better oil filters..maybe. But there is no conclusive evidence to prove any worth. After all, which filter manufacturer does millions on Miles of testing?

And if you search, I believe you will find a post by me regarding a poor old guy, on vacation and in the middle of nowhere, who used another filter and his engine blew when the filter "fragged" and blocked oil journals. The dealer and GM initially said "sorry, talk to xxxx". When it went to mediation I convinced 2 of GM's representatives that GM should goodwill the repair and subrogate the charges back to the oil filter company. Saving the old guy in excess of $5000.00. Unusual, you bet. But why take a chance.

In my opinion and as it now stands, you have a weak argument. But do as you wish, it's your car.

I'm done. This topic and which oil to use, has been beat to death.

Last edited by Snoopy; 12-28-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 PM

Gm doesnt make their own filters so you are still at the mercy of who ever has the current contract...just because it says delco doesnt mean its a good filter.. and as ar as warrenty, you can us whatever filter u desire
Old 12-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBodeman
I agree with the whole Fram spending too much on advertising and passing the cost onto us. But the inside of the Fram filter looks so superior to the Delco for free flowing oil.
Yes, well on the motorcycle forums I frequent frams' more free flowing oil filters are the problem.

They are Not filtering as finely..

Hey Whopper
- time for another oil change !!!

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil Filter for SS