Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Shock absorber question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 PM

Shock absorber question

So I order a pair of rear shocks from Rock and they only shipped on, so I ordered a second from CarID and that failed so I found one on eBay and ordered it. Opened the box to find oil on the shock body where it would be if it had leaked. I complained to the seller and he said this:

We have another one our shelf and its exactly the same. That oil is very common on new shocks - part of the production process.
Anyone ever heard this before? I'm assuming it's leaked and is junk as I've never seen oil on a new shock before. The one from Rock was dry as a bone.

​​​​​​​Ira
Old 07-26-2021, 09:51 PM

I never got anything good from ebay. The most expensive parts I ordered lasted one year max. Quick struts, brake rotor, brake pads, wheel bearings. Nothing was good. Also I have tested their lifetime warranty for a pair of struts. I had to first order a new pair from the seller. They sent me two identical struts that can be installed to the left, I had no struts I could install to the right side of the car. I had to pay to return both struts, did not get a full refund, and I had to forget about my lifetime warranty. In my experience ebay is simply garbage when it comes to automotive parts. And I mean all the ebay sellers.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 PM

Oil on the body of a gas shock is NOT acceptable.
I have not had problems with ebay parts. You do need to do due diligence. Ebay does have a satisfaction program; if it is not what you ordered or is defective you should not need to pay return shipping. You do returns via ebay NOT the vendor. If you use a major credit card you have even more protection.

Strut brands that you never heard of are "collision parts" meaning they are good enough to pass on at a used car lot.

My rule of thumb is: I can afford to replace cheap parts 3-4 timers before I didn't get a good deal. That goes for hubs, rotors, and brakes. Know what you are paying for!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 PM

It is the same Sachs shock I got from Rock Auto, just wet.

Ira
Old 07-27-2021, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I’ve never received a wet set of KYB struts or shocks , from RockAuto or other suppliers over the years, haven’t had a leak either!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lazaino
"So I order a pair of rear shocks from Rock and they only shipped on," so I ordered a second from CarID and that failed so I found one on eBay and ordered it. Opened the box to find oil on the shock body where it would be if it had leaked. I complained to the seller and he said this:

Anyone ever heard this before? I'm assuming it's leaked and is junk as I've never seen oil on a new shock before. The one from Rock was dry as a bone.

Ira
I would assume if you ordered 2, you got billed for 2 ? So, why not follow up with RockAuto for the other shock ? Why go to all those other vendors and place multiple orders ?
​​​​​​​Maybe I missed something in your post.

I've used RockAuto a bunch. Never any issues.
Ebay. Bought some things thru them. Just have watch out for some of their vendors. Read the small print. If it says "ships from China" you should be leary.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:00 PM

Times 2....
Some people just have No Idea how to handle an issue.
Now he has a MESS.....
SF
Old 07-27-2021, 12:46 PM

Rock only had one of the two and canceled the second. The only place I could find another one was ebay and it's wet and the supplier says the one on the shelf he has is wet also.

Ira
Old 07-27-2021, 01:28 PM

So I called Sachs support line and asked and was told, "the seals are designed to leak so the rod stays lubricated." But he didn't seem to be willing to say what is an acceptable amount of oil to leak and eventually told me return it and a new shipment should be arriving from the factory this year. So they are not actually discontinued like Rock and CARiD said. I will let you know how my discussion with the eBay vendor goes.

Ira
Old 07-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Bilsteins aren’t available and Sachs are no longer listed, perhaps the AC Delcos

Quick Reply: Shock absorber question