Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

SS - First oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM

SS - First oil change.

Im about due (in my opinion) for the first oil change of the 2010 HHR SS I purchased over the summer. Im going to do it myself but it does appear to be a bit tight on getting to stuff.

My question is for those of you with the HHR SS, what filter and oil do you use? Im pretty sure the Mobil 1 is recommended but its only a brand name. There are other oils out here just as good that dont spend millions on advertising.

Also, what size socket do I need for the filter cartridge housing. It looks like its located on the top of the engine to the right, under where an intercooler pipe passes. Im use to filters being on the bottom, so I want to make sure this is the filter Im looking at.

One last thing. Im at 3,000 miles since the last oil/filter change (performed before my purchase). I know its recommended to change at least every 5,000 miles. But with oil, I prefer to error on the side of an early change. The computer says Im at 58% oil life. At this rate, I dont have to change the oil till 7,000 miles. That seems way too long for me even for a synthetic.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

RBodeman-

I'm sure some SS guys will be along in due time..

The socket size is a 32mm "shorty" for clearance. I got mine at local auto parts store. (see Pic)
It's a 3/8" drive, & I use an extension on it to keep the rachet up & away from engine stuff.

Factory oil filter is a AC Delco, but there are other options. I stick with the oem filter..

Make sure you get the Big O-ring with your oil filter (2nd pic) shows the cap & green Big O-ring around it, with oil filter, old filter just pulls outta the cap..

Last pic shows what your filter will look like.

Upon installation, I always wipe some clean oil over the O-rings so they don't chaff during the install..

With new filter pushed into the cap & oiled, install & wind in by hand so you don't cross thread it.. Then use the shorty socket snug it down..
Attached Images    
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM

On my 2.4L the oil filter canister takes a 32 mm socket. I just have to lift my car a bit to get under the car to access the drain plug. I use Mobil 1 5-30 (the SS owners manual will tell you what type oil weight to use. I run until the oil life monitor gets down to 10% or until I get motivation to do it sooner. I have driven as much as 11,000 miles between oil changes. I do lots of highway driving and don't abuse my HHR. It is your car and your money and you can change your oil as frequently as you want.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

RBodeman. Just remember that the SS 2.0L engine has different oil requirements than the 2.2 or 2.4.
2.0L====== GM Standard GM4718M
2.2L,2.4L===GM Standard GM6094M
Look for these on the new oil container. Others here have their opinions on following this requirement. Me personally, I do. As long as I'm under warranty,I will stick to GM requirements.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM

SS owner here.

Get the socket as it make it very easy to change.

Stick to Mobil one as it is stated on the oil fill cap 5w30 is all you need. As long as your warranty is in place and you use the recomended oil it save hassles later. It is cheap at Walmart. Later you can go with other brands as long as they are to the same or better spec, The Turbo need syn oil to deal with the heat.

The Delco filter is as good as you need. Most of these filters are pretty much similar and with an open filter you can see what you are getting.

I change mine at 20% or there after. The Oil Life meter really works and is accurate. It takes many readings from the computer like running time temps cycles, miles driven etc. It works out the formula to determine the life of the oil left based on running conditions. The only one it can not read is if you are in a very dusty or dirty enviroment. In that case you may want to move it up.

Oil change miles depending on how you drive average 7000-11000 miles with no harm. Mobil One is good enough for it and the engines today run so much more efficent that little gas gets in the oil unless you have a mechanical issue.

This is one of the easiest oil changes you will ever do. The first time is a little intimidating but once you learn how to snap on and off the filter from the cap it is cake.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
SS owner here.

Get the socket as it make it very easy to change.

Stick to Mobil one as it is stated on the oil fill cap 5w30 is all you need. As long as your warranty is in place and you use the recomended oil it save hassles later. It is cheap at Walmart. Later you can go with other brands as long as they are to the same or better spec, The Turbo need syn oil to deal with the heat.

The Delco filter is as good as you need. Most of these filters are pretty much similar and with an open filter you can see what you are getting.

I change mine at 20% or there after. The Oil Life meter really works and is accurate. It takes many readings from the computer like running time temps cycles, miles driven etc. It works out the formula to determine the life of the oil left based on running conditions. The only one it can not read is if you are in a very dusty or dirty enviroment. In that case you may want to move it up.

Oil change miles depending on how you drive average 7000-11000 miles with no harm. Mobil One is good enough for it and the engines today run so much more efficent that little gas gets in the oil unless you have a mechanical issue.

This is one of the easiest oil changes you will ever do. The first time is a little intimidating but once you learn how to snap on and off the filter from the cap it is cake.
Ditto, good advice here, the oil change is a snap. Hardest part for me was finding ramps. I get my neighbor over to spot me, he lights a cigar and cracks a beer, I go to work. Be careful not to burn yourself with hot oil if your engine is hot. But do let it run a little if she's cold, warm oil drains faster. Also, don't overtorque the oil pan plug. Snug should be just fine. You strip that nut, not going to be a pretty bill to replace the oil pan.
I'm no mechanic, (got a masters in violin playing) so if I'm incorrect on something here, please chime in. I love how easy and cheap it is to change this oil and filter. I've been doing all my own since day one.

Jim
Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 AM

I don't need ramps as I can squeeze under still pull the plug.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Same here.No ramps needed. My shop has a concrete entrance with a slight angle up onto the shop floor. Park on the angle and the front of the car has just enough clearance to slide under.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
As long as I'm under warranty,I will stick to GM requirements.
Yep, same here !
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM

All of the above, by far the easiest vehicle I've ever done a change on. No ramps, and filter right out the top.

Quick Reply: SS - First oil change.