Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 01:19 PM

Maybe I missed something...but. If you paid $250 for expert service why can't you go back and have them check the level and top it off if needed... Isn't that what service is anymore?
Old 05-17-2022, 02:14 AM

I lost confidence in this garage. The owner told me in person (because I went there to also check the car alignment) that he could not perform an alignment because my top plate suspension bearings are bad, which is correct I already knew that, but he also told me that the repair would cost me one thousand dollars. I have repaired many suspensions on HHR I know he asks me a crazy price for just a small piece to be change inside the top plate. I am gonna do it myself. The thing is, I never performed anything related to the transmission, so I was scared, y'know, I am very upset right now. I bought a litre of dexron VI and gonna learn myself how to do the plug test with some youtube videos I guess.

So you guys to get the car level use jacks and candles for both the rear and front, right?
Old 05-17-2022, 06:39 AM
Administrator

I park flat on the floor of my garage, I reach up under the car , use a 1/4 “ drive ratchet, 12” extension and 11mm socket. Once I remove the plug and am happy with the level, with the car running in neutral, wheels blocked! I use a floor jack to lift the passenger front corner, place a jack stand and put the plug back in place, squirt a little brake parts cleaner and wipe up.
there should not be much fluid coming out.
Do Not turn the engine off ! The fluid will flow out! As the torque converter stops spinning.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ScareDe2
I lost confidence in this garage.
Very understandable, I would too. My comment was not against you, it was against the shop. And against other shops that get mentioned here on the forums that do shoddy work, get money from the car owner, and tell the owner "You're on your own". This is not "service" this is a ripoff and it's becoming "standard operating procedure" for guys that have the word "service" proudly posted on the walls of their shop.

Sorry for the rant...

I am gonna do it myself. The thing is, I never performed anything related to the transmission, so I was scared, y'know, I am very upset right now. I bought a litre of dexron VI and gonna learn myself how to do the plug test with some youtube videos I guess.
Good for you. I used to do all my own service back in the day. Checking and adding fluid would be a rather easy procedure. You got this!
Old 05-17-2022, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Here's what yer looking for...........

Old 05-18-2022, 03:11 AM

I left a negative feedback and this is what the owner answered : hello, we put 6l because there is always some fluid that remains inside the transmission pan I told you and repeat the same day that we put 6l because of the remaining inside the bottom, if you add 1/2 by yourself l it will be too much thank you and have a nice day.

That is strange because he never talked about fluid remaining inside the transmission pan. The owner of the garage is lying.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:50 AM
Administrator

If he dropped the pan to change the filter, why and how could there be fluid left in the pan!?
sounds like they just wiped the outside of the pan and added nothing!
Did you actually see the old filter?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:15 AM

Maybe they suctioned out the old fluid, and didn't change the filter?

Or maybe it's an aftermarket pan, with a drain plug?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:53 AM

How could there be oil left in the pan, if it is sitting on the work bench? But, yes there is oil left in the torque converter; that is why there is a difference between "flush & fill" and "drain & fill".

Flat rate to replace the filter is 1.0 hour, fluid about $60, OEM filter $56 (off the shelf is a lot less), OEM gasket $56 (over the counter is a lot less). So, assuming Genuine GM parts the price sounds right. I really doubt they got parts from a dealer, more likely NAPA or one of the big box stores.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:10 AM

I did my trans filter change myself and was surprised that it was such an easy job. I have a very knowledgeable parts person who set me up with everything. fluid type, filter, gasket and even told me where to pour it in. He also said to go online to confirm the amount of fluid it takes and he was spot on with the amount. Tools needed were two car ramps and a basic socket set. I think I was done in less than 15 minutes. Did this 54,000 miles ago and planning on doing it in another 20k or so. Trans has been flawless and zero leaks.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change