Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, IL

Chuck-A-Burger cruisin' landmark to close original location

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 PM

I'm looking at August 17-19, although I'm booked in the evening on the 17th (Friday) and the 18th (Saturday) due to my high school's reunion gatherings. If something's able to be worked out for Sunday the 19th, that would personally be my best opportunity.

Big Kahuna - I haven't had a chance to check out the one in St. Charles - whereabouts is it? I usually stay in the Harvester area when I'm out there.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vivid
Big Kahuna - I haven't had a chance to check out the one in St. Charles - whereabouts is it? I usually stay in the Harvester area when I'm out there.
It's right off the new Highway 370 on the north side of St. Charles. Take Highway 370 to the Elm St. exit. Head south on Elm St. about 1 block and it's on your right.

You can't miss it - it's covered with chrome and neon...

Here's a link to directions and pictures along with a lot of Chuck-A-Burger history...

www.ChuckABurger.com

Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Nice, so right over in the neighborhood of Fast Lane!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Aug. 18th is good for me! Let's start planning.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Chuck-A-Burger gets new life
Landmark diner's doors stay open

Local HHR owners, don't mourn the old Rock Road Chuck-A-Burger's demise just yet.

One of our favorite historic cruise-in diners stays open!!!

The venerable hamburger joint on St. Charles Rock Road, a fixture in the area for a half-century, still is rockin' and rollin'. At least for a little while.

The diner had been scheduled to close Dec. 31. However, owner Ron Stille has made a deal with the property's owner that would allow him time to try to arrange financing to purchase the tract at 9025 St. Charles Rock Road.The lease has been extended at least through February, Stille said, adding that the diner could remain open longer.

"We'll be there 'til March, anyway," Stille said in a telephone interview from his Chuck-A-Burger diner in St. Charles County.

Stille opened that restaurant when it appeared he would be unable to purchase the Rock Road property.

The lease extension grants Stille time to work on obtaining financing for the property. "I'm trying my darnedest," he said.

Stille took over the Chuck-A-Burger legacy when his father, Ralph, died in 1999. The younger Stille had purchased the restaurant from his father a few years earlier.

Chuck-A-Burger owner Stille said he was touched by the outpouring of support from St. Louis residents after the closing was announced last summer.

"It means a lot," Stille said. "It shows the respect that people have for the icon that is Chuck-A-Burger. It means a lot that everybody wants it to stay open."
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Thay's good news, thanks for the update.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:07 AM

St. Louis' Rock Road Chuck-A-Burger
"Cruisin' Capital Of The Midwest"

Stays Open For Good!

It seems the eulogies delivered for a North County landmark last summer were a bit premature.

Chuck-A-Burger, born in the mid-1950s when rock 'n' roll, hot cars, and burgers, fries and a Coke were the orders of the day, will live on at 9025 St. Charles Rock Road. But it won't look exactly as it has the past few decades.

Ron Stille, son of the late Ralph Stille, who opened the diner five decades ago, finally was able to buy the land on which the burger joint sits."It's only been a month since we signed the paperwork," he said in a telephone interview from his Chuck-A-Burger restaurant in St. Charles.

Stille opened the St. Charles location when it appeared he wouldn't be able to obtain the property across the Rock Road from Ritenour High School.

Speaking of the school, the longtime members of the Ritenour Alumni Association - some of whom were known to cut a class or two to get a burger and fries - were among the more vocal patrons bemoaning the expected closing of the diner.

"Now, we'll have to get the Alumni Association together again for a 'Glad-You're-Not-Closing' reunion," said Dean Nickens of the 3300 block of Havenbrook Drive in Overland.

Nickens was one of many longtime customers who shared their memories of the popular drive-in.

The group of alumni last year gathered for what was believed to be a goodbye party. The diner initially had been scheduled to close at year's end.

But Stille was able to obtain an extension and kept negotiating for the purchase of the land.

A chalkboard sign on the restaurant wall Friday proclaimed, along with an ad for a steak sandwich, that Chuck-A-Burger is open "permanently."

"That's the plan," Stille said. But, he noted, there's a big job ahead of him - a job other than making mortgage payments.

"Now, I have to do all the work to meet the building codes," he said.

The structure from the 1950s faces a major face-lift just to meet the regulations adopted since it was built. Also, Stille said, while that's being done he figured it would be wise to update the diner. An expansion of the dining area is on the drawing board.

He said he hopes he won't have to shut down for much more than a month to complete the work.

Stille said St. John officials have been cooperative in working with him on the necessary paperwork.

"They're very supportive. They want me to stay," he said. "But rules are rules."

One of those rules is that Stille must obtain a conditional-use permit for the site as the new property owner. He is scheduled to outline his permit application to the St. John Planning and Zoning Commission on April 28. If endorsed by that panel, a public hearing would be held to discuss the application, and then it would be considered by the St. John City Council.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 PM

SHOCKING NEWS!!!

Just received this email from the Stille Family and employees of Chuck-A-Burger....

I was shocked at the news that Chuck-A-Burger has decided to instead close their NEW St. Charles location and keep the original location open. Here's the scoop...

Everyone at Chuck-A-Burger would like to thank our great and loyal customers. We truly appreciate your support through all of the ups and downs we have experienced over the last few years.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have to close the doors of our St. Charles Chuck-A-Burger Drive-In. Our last day of business will be Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 9 p.m. We hope you get a chance to come by and see us this weekend.

If not, please cruise to the Chuck-A-Burger St. Charles Rock Road Drive-In. We will continue our famous Friday night cruise nights at that location. With your continued patronage we can keep cruising alive in St. John, and hopefully one day we will be able to expand again.

Thank you again....

The Stille Family and Employees

Keep on Cruisin!

The one and only, original Chuck-A-Burger, since 1957
9025 St. Charles Rock Rd.
St. John, MO 63114
www.chuckaburger.com

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 05-16-2009 at 09:29 AM.