Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, IL

Freeway Speed Cameras AKA IL B.S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Freeway Speed Cameras AKA IL B.S.

Illinois: Freeway Speeding Cameras Activated

As of today, marked white photo radar vans are ticketing motorists on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago, Illinois. The program represents the only statewide use of freeway speed cameras in the United States. Next week, a second van will begin operating on the Tollway while a third will operate downstate. Planned locations for the van include construction zones on I-64 in St. Clair, I-57 in Williamson County, and I-74 in Champaign. The Illinois State Police has been testing the system for the past two months.

Currently, only two cities -- Scottsdale, Arizona and Washington, DC -- operate photo radar on freeways. Scottsdale's program has generated nearly $3 million at a rate of $42,000 in tickets every day.

Illinois stands to make far more as the state's maximum fine is five times greater than Scottsdale's. A first offense runs $375 and a second costs $1000 with a 90-day license suspension. License demerit points will raise the insurance rates of the vehicle owner for 4-7 years. Under a measure signed into law last week, the tickets will only be issued in a work zone with at least one worker present. Although the state has suggested the speed camera program is intended to cut work zone deaths, evidence shows that only 15 percent of freeway construction zone injuries are caused by automobiles. A far greater number of workers are injured by construction equipment.

Illinois State Police officers will sit inside the vans belonging to Affiliated Computer Services (ACS) while the machine generates tickets. ACS officials are currently on trial for bribing Canadian police officers to secure a lucrative speed camera contract in the city of Edmonton. Illinois will pay the company $2950 per month per van as well as a $15 bonus for every ticket

I looked into this. Illinois law keeps construction zone speed limits in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week, regardless of whether there are actually crews working. As long as work zone speed limits are posted, the reduced speed limit is in effect. It seems ridiculous that, with no crews working on the highway at 10 pm you would need to drive 45 mph, but that is the case. IDOT’s reasoning is that, not only are they trying to ensure the safety of their workers, but also traffic patterns are often reworked (lanes closures and rerouting lanes) so drivers need to proceed at a reduced speed to navigate possible changes.

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice $375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense. The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license,which allows insurance companies to raise Insurance Rates.

This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

I looked into this: Illinois law keeps construction zone speed limits in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week, regardless of whether there are actually crews working. As long as work zone speed limits are posted, the reduced speed limit is in effect. It seems ridiculous that, with no crews working on the highway at 10 pm you would need to drive 45 mph, but that is the case. IDOT’s reasoning is that, not only are they trying to ensure the safety of their workers, but also traffic patterns are often reworked (lanes closures and rerouting lanes) so drivers need to proceed at a reduced speed to navigate possible changes.

Another way to raise more money. Cause there doing so much with it.

I'm all for safety for Workers etc but come on, Even when there not there? Which if its a State Job u know they only work once a week. Little over done.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM

If you don't speed, it's not an issue. I do speed, A LOT!! But I figure if I'm willing to do the crime I oughta be willing to pay the fine!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
If you don't speed, it's not an issue. I do speed, A LOT!! But I figure if I'm willing to do the crime I oughta be willing to pay the fine!
The fact of the matter is even if u do the speed limit through a work zone. You have a good chance of being in a wreck if the people around you continue to do 65.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
The fact of the matter is even if u do the speed limit through a work zone. You have a good chance of being in a wreck if the people around you continue to do 65.
Then you let the people around you continue to do 65. They'll get the message fast once the tickets come rolling in.

There's just no good reason to speed in the construction zones.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Then you let the people around you continue to do 65. They'll get the message fast once the tickets come rolling in.

There's just no good reason to speed in the construction zones.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Now if they would just ticket all the cops that drive as though they are above the law, we would all be happier.

http://jonathanturley.org/2009/05/12...ng-red-lights/
Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

The story is somewhat falacious......

Even though Scottsdale was the first city to install photo radar on freeways, they are not the only jurisdictions. Phoenix, Mesa, Glendale and probably a few other cities....as well as many areas around the State of Arizona, which is controlled by our highway patrol, utilize this system.

Been a lot of discussion here regarding this issue. Especially after one civilian employee was killed while sitting in a radar car, by some irate citizen.

One of the issues is that special laws were created to provide basis for the tickets. However, in the legislature quest during the writing they forgot to insert an enforcement penalty. It seems the violation is a civil matter and does not appear on your driving record. As such, many violators disregard the ticket when it comes in the mail, because no warrant can be issued for non appearance/payment. Also, under Arizona law, the summons or warrant must be placed in the violators hands, so civilian employees have been hired to chase down outstanding ticket violators. If I remember correctly, only about 60% of the violators are issued tickets (for various reasons) and about 25% of those are paid.

The numbers provided in your article, do not compute.

Edit....forgot to say the law also requires warning signs to be posted, I believe at 300 and 100 yards before the radar unit (effective range on the radar cameras is within 100 yards).

Just thought I would post this to inform anyone that visits this area.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
i grew up in Michigan, and the laws may be different but i swear i was told this in drivers training:

That the posted speed limit is for ideal driving conditions. If the speed limit is 55 and everyone else is driving 75, if you are driving the speed limit you are in danger to yourself and others and can actually get pulled over.

Same idea if you are in the expressway doing 70 in like a pouring rain storm or in icy conditions that you can get pulled over, even if it is the speed limit, once again because you are endangering others.

Could just be BS that I was told, but it makes sense to me.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Founding Member

And people say Texas is violent. Here's how they treat those van operators in phoenix.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/val...er_shot_de.php
Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

That is the situation I mentioned in my post to this thread.

What a "nut", huh!!

Quick Reply: Freeway Speed Cameras AKA IL B.S.