Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Exhaust visual

Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Exhaust visual

Usually I like putting exhaust on my vehicles but I want to keep this one quiet.

The problem is, I don't like that GIGANTIC muffler with a tiny little tip coming out the back. I thought of adding just a tip but that massive box would still be behind it.

Can I delete the box and just put a nice tip out of the back?

Or maybe something more visually appealing like this

But I don't want to make it loud or like a fast & furious extra, bumblebee honda, ect.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Most certainly - give the SEARCH tool at the top of the page and search for "rear muffler change" (without the quotes of course). A lot of people have documented what works/doesn't work for them, with a lot of feedback from other members.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM

For cosmetic reasons many have painted it black using high temp spraypaint.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

You can weld up what ever you like, my second set is mellow sounding.Used flowmaster HP2 shorties. And Z06 tips.
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Most certainly - give the SEARCH tool at the top of the page and search for "rear muffler change" (without the quotes of course). A lot of people have documented what works/doesn't work for them, with a lot of feedback from other members.
Sorry, ill stop posting and just lurk.

Thanks for the reply guys
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

No need to be sorry - I see by one of your other posts you were getting a bit ticked off about the suggestion to use the search tool??

The suggestion I made was trying to help you out - I could have spent a half hour compiling a bunch of links for you, or quotes from other posts - is that what you wanted?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Playing devils advocate...it takes time to come in and tell someone to try the search function then argue with them about why the search function is there. Most people make these types of posts to get input from those of us that have made the mods. It keeps things fresh and gives the older guys a chance to maybe show off or give new input on things. At this point pretty much every topic has been discussed here to some extent. The new guys are here to learn and develop relationships with the community...if we tell them to use the search function every time they ask questions then it will deter them from signing on and contributing. Why even sign on if you can get the information you need from the search tool? I hate to say it but this is what drives some people away...myself being one of them. I used to contribute and visit the forum frequently until nearly every thread I went into had a mod or even a wanna be mod telling a new guy to use the search function.

Sorry for the rant...just wanted to add my 2 cents to the whole "search tool" comments being made.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
Playing devils advocate...it takes time to come in and tell someone to try the search function then argue with them about why the search function is there. Most people make these types of posts to get input from those of us that have made the mods. It keeps things fresh and gives the older guys a chance to maybe show off or give new input on things. At this point pretty much every topic has been discussed here to some extent. The new guys are here to learn and develop relationships with the community...if we tell them to use the search function every time they ask questions then it will deter them from signing on and contributing. Why even sign on if you can get the information you need from the search tool? I hate to say it but this is what drives some people away...myself being one of them. I used to contribute and visit the forum frequently until nearly every thread I went into had a mod or even a wanna be mod telling a new guy to use the search function.

Sorry for the rant...just wanted to add my 2 cents to the whole "search tool" comments being made.
I agree, I'm an open minded and understanding person so I look at all sides.

Yes I could see searching for something I need a basic answer to. I did search and seen people using different exhaust, ect. But none covered specifically what I wanted to know. That other thread just came at just the right time. one complaining of reviving a 6 yr old thread, then others saying use search, double edge sword.

When posting people are looking for people while personal experience with what they have going on. And like you said, it gives people who has been through it to show it off and be like hey, I did it like this, or I used that.

It keeps things going and people talking/interested.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 PM

I have done alot of muffler swaps, from magnaflow with a large tip to no muffler and back to stock. Just a few days ago I did a change again but this time for good. Did a muffler delete. Straight pipe out the back with a 4.5 slant stainless steel bola muffler. We all have different opinions but for me no muffler sounds great and no big muffler sticking out the back. Just remember a SS will sound way different. I say do your homework and check out some bids on you tube. I'm actually going to record a video later and I'm going to post it. I'll add the link here when I'm done you can check it out for yourself
Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM

I'm running a Magnaflow muffler in place of the jumbo factory muffler and I have a 4" slant cut tip tucked under the bumper so that just a little bit of tip actually shows. I also have removed the factory resonator. I love the sound of my exhaust...I've got a clip of it on here somewhere...you can do a YouTube search for magnaflow HHR and you should be able to see my setup. If you can't find it let me know and I'll give you the link.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust visual