Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

New Owner thinking about Exhaust Modification

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM

New Owner thinking about Exhaust Modification

Hi,

This is my first post on here. I bought a 2009, 5-speed HHR LT back in October as my first car. Absolutely love driving it, but I think its time to start modding the car.

After reading some threads on here, I'm confident on going with a resonator delete and maybe take out my 2nd cat. As for the muffle I can see that a preferred choice here is Magnaflow. So I'm just curious if a Thrush exhaust would be okay too on the HHR. Does anyone have experience with Thrush mufflers? or videos on how they sound on a HHR?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Administrator

hey fellow Ontarian, I have not see any videos for Thrush but maybe try youtube, I tried the magnaflow , and did not like it, just personal guess, went muffler delete to pingy,this summer I am planning to try a Porter or smitty's round muffler in place of the resonator and delete the stock muffler, and I hope that will be that, maybee we will see you in Paris on a carshow Saturday night this summer
Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM

That sounds great, tell me how that goes. I'm doing the resonator delete soon, just wanted to know if there would be a good muffler that would compliment that. And this car show in Paris, never heard of it but now I'm extremely interested. When does this car show usually happen?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Theres lots of shows come springtime.
I dont recommend the resonator delete, sounds high pitched, raspy and 'rice', and the resonator is straight through and not restrictive anyways so performance wont change.
I liked the sound much better using a stock cobalt ss/sc catback with a much longer resonator, larger piping, and higher flow muffler. Needs some slight modification to fit the hhr, but lots of used ones around for cheap.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

If you lose your resonator, you're HHR is going to sound a lot like a racer boy, import fartcan car

Personally, I would never do that with any car that doesn't have a V-8.

I actually put a split-duals exhaust on my HHR last spring. I did it with two OEM straight through type of mufflers and even with the stock resonator, I thought it sounded to much like an import P.O.S.

To rectify that, I actually found and installed a much longer resonator. It actually helped some, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. You lose no performance with your resonator, so I would just leave it alone.