Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Adding Fog Lights LS and 1LT .... Well Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Adding Fog Lights LS and 1LT .... Well Maybe

Well, I have been tweaking and stabilizing my latest purchase of a 2nd HHR.
2011 .. 1 LT Auto 2.4L Mocha Steel Metallic approx. 24,000 miles.

Doesn't have the Chrome package but has Factory Running Boards, and a rear view camera.
After looking it over and driving it for a few weeks I think I got a good one here.
Got all the rattles etc. out and now looking to add OEM Fog Lites.

After going over all the parts and pieces required and then looking at the wiring required and the cost of it all, along with the difficulty of installation, I decided just to install the 2 Light Assemblies Only.
WHY ??
Because I have had Factory Fog Lites on my 2 prior HHR's and I really like the looks over the phony black Plastic plugs that come stock.
Also, I never used them on either HHR even though we do get Fog here.

So ...... I ordered the 2 Factory Fog Lite Assemblies only that come with the Bulb and the Adjuster, and went out to the Garage to see if I could install without too much difficulty.
1. Part # 15813308 is right side.
2. Part # 15813307 is left side.

Then came the first question ..... Which side is the left side ????
Called my local Chevy parts guy and he told me ..... Left is drivers side.
OK that one down .. whats next.
Looking at the front fender insert I poped the 2 front lower plastic plugs loose after turning the tires to the right all the way for access.
Stuck my hand and arm under the insert and wresteled with the black plastic filler plug trying to get it out. After a few nasty words and pushing and pulling etc.one side poped loose and with another tug it came flying out catching my knuckles on some sharp plastic pieces. The next thing I know there is blood flowing. Time to stop and get things under control.
So .. Looking at the left lite, I was trying to figure out just how it goes to install it. No diagrams with the parts from Chevrolet.
Bah Humbug.

Then .. I barely got the left Fog lite to go in between the insert and the fender .. Very tite squeeze.
The question that arose was how does this lite assembly attach. Only thing I could see was it must attach to the 2 small plastic pieces/clips that the Plastic part I removed were attached to.
After studying the lite fixture I could not see how it could possibly work. I got so frustrated that I thought maybe I ordered the wrong parts so I went in the house and looked at the boxes and the packing slip to see if that was the case. After going to the parts web site and rechecking the application I found that they were indeed the correct parts. Only problem was how do these things attach?
To make a long story short as I was stressing out and pushing and twisting the on left lite when all of a sudden just locked in place.
Damn I thought ... I'm Good.
Now if I can just make that technique work one more time.
Yes .. I was able to pull it off again ..... Amen
Geez ...What a guy will do just to add a little class to his HHr.

So here I am with another self project Completed with just a little blood spilled and I am very satisfied with my "Looks Only" installation.

Anybody want some Free Plastic plugs ???

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 10-17-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Sometime you just have to sacrifice blood to the car gods to complete a project. You can make the lights work easy by hooking one wire to ground and the other to the marker lamp wire. It will make the fog light come on anytime the marker lights are on. You can also change the bulbs with led bulbs so they pull very low amps which would be better with the fogs lights on all the time.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM

I paid 120 for mine, for both lights.. It not hard to wire them in at all. I didn't run them into the factory wiring, made my own harness and bought the switch from the local dealer.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 PM

What kind did you get ?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:35 AM

Hey hope you still aroun

i got the LT fog lights wanting put them on my LS you said they will work ok can you tell me any details? also thinking getting running boards for it too from a LT will they work for the LS?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nathan Cole
i got the LT fog lights wanting put them on my LS you said they will work ok can you tell me any details? also thinking getting running boards for it too from a LT will they work for the LS?
Do you realize your asking a question to a thread that the last post was 7 years ago ?
Take Don's advice from your other same questions you asked from the thread you started and look in the "How To" section.
You can also use Google to do research also.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Well, really 6 years.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Well, really 6 years.
I guess if it is 12/13 vs 1/20.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Ok, double the fun. Let’s close this one