Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Began Mocking Up Windshield Visor

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Began Mocking Up Windshield Visor

Has anyone had any luck finding a visor other than the single sheet rolled metal one or the 1970's looking boxy one? I haven't, so I have started mocking up a windshield visor because I could only find those two still on the market. I can't say I am crazy about either of them. Not to say the two are bad...just not the look I am going for. Once I get the mock-up done I will make a solid prototype to install and begin testing. I will update as the project progresses.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

American & Proud (member) has the cool one..

BTW: Back in the day some were stainless on the ends & green see thru (maybe plexi ? ) for the view..

They were named "See More Visors" IIRC.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Rest In Peace

This one was made several years ago, hasnt been made for several years as the custom shop that made them went belly up.

Took me a couple years to locate the 2 that I have and I actively searched for them.

Name:  05f67a7f.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  41549f7e.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  26dd53c1.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  58.1 KB

SSFan got a LUND visor with the Black Panel he recently bought. LUND hasnt made them for the HHR for several years now either.

The one I have for the '55 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop is stamped steel with a stainless steel trim edging.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM

sleeper,

I completely agree...American and Proud does have the cool one! Off the top of my head, I don't recall the plexiglass one...I'll have to check those out on Google.

American and Proud,

Do your vents you have an air release on the trailing edge, or are they attached at the roof line as well as the sides (pillars)?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Benjiwah
sleeper,

I completely agree...American and Proud does have the cool one! Off the top of my head, I don't recall the plexiglass one...I'll have to check those out on Google.

American and Proud,

Do your vents you have an air release on the trailing edge, or are they attached at the roof line as well as the sides (pillars)?
The Visor sits slightly above the roof. 2 screws on each end and a mounting block in the center, that gets glued directly to the glass. You have to shorten the pass. side wiper because of the center mount.

I believe they are made of black abs sheets. My guess would be that the ABS is heated and then vacuum formed over a mold. the same with the center mount, then its abs glued to the underside of the visor.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM

American and Proud,

Thanks, I was curious because of air flow. With the design I am working on I am going to mount it with the 3M two-sided tape. It will have attachment points on both the windshield and roof with air release channels. I am shooting for a look that hugs the windshield fairly close.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

I would not want to rely solely on the 3M tape as a way to attach it to the car. The forces on the visor, even with the air release channels, is going to be very substantial at highway speeds.

American & Proud: your thoughts on this?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

You got that right, mine has 8 bolts holding it on, 3m tape is not going to do it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM

whopper,

The amount of surface area that will have contact with the the 3M tape is very substantial. There are cars that com from the factory with body cladding that is adhered with this tape. I do appreciate your input and I have planned from the begining on proceeding with extreme caution and testing the visor extensively before putting finish paint on it in case of failure. I hope to be able to mount it without drilling holes into the A-pillars, but I do have a contingency plan (that includes fasteners) if need be for my design plans.

Thanks again for your feedback...I will be posting some pics up soon :)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

3-m holds this on fine, maybe I'm selling it short ?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Began Mocking Up Windshield Visor