Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Care and Feeding of Microfiber Towels (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 PM

Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain! Sorry you're outta breath.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:05 PM

Steve - it's good to have you on board. And it definitely sounds like you are knowledgeable in your field. Thanks for offering us some fine products to help our HHR's keep looking as awesome as they did new (or better!). I think some of us may need a bit of guidance as to which products work best for what - and I see you are providing that.

Bravo!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ultramicrofiber
Whooo, I am out of breath.... I'll guess you did not realize there was so much involved in such a simple subject
Seriously. It's good to know what is bad for my HHR. Considering this is my first new car, I'm treating it like it was my new born child.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Steve, just a qiuick Q. What do you clean the microfiber towels w/ after use? I've heard different stories, such as...only handwash w/ Ivory bar soap, and another said mach. wash w/ reg. dertegent, no bleach, no softener? What do you do?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by guido099
Steve, just a qiuick Q. What do you clean the microfiber towels w/ after use? I've heard different stories, such as...only handwash w/ Ivory bar soap, and another said mach. wash w/ reg. dertegent, no bleach, no softener? What do you do?
The Care and Feeding of Towels/Wash Equipment is a whole post in it's own right, but, I always use a liquid detergent. Towels are pretty tough so a normal washing machine cycle in hot or cold water is just fine.
DO not use bleach or fabric softeners, as bleach has a tendency to harden the fiber, and softeners have a tendency to clog them.
There are special Microfiber detergents, and so far I have only tested one, and did not see any difference in how the towels worked or felt.

For those that do not have a water softener, add about 1/4 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle every 4-5 washings.
What happens is a slow build up of mineral content in the towel fiber as you wash and dry them. Again it is pretty minute, but that build up will be harden the fiber and cause..... You guessed it swirls
The vinegar has a tendency to dissolve the minerals and be an almost natural softener.
I also wash my MF towels separate from anything else. The grabby fabric of the MF towels will have a tendency to hold onto lint from other fabrics.
Then they become a bit messy to clean up.
I will put up a seperate post on this subject, but the above really covers the jist of it.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. you have been great help
Old 02-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Steve - it's good to have you on board. And it definitely sounds like you are knowledgeable in your field. Thanks for offering us some fine products to help our HHR's keep looking as awesome as they did new (or better!). I think some of us may need a bit of guidance as to which products work best for what - and I see you are providing that.

Bravo!
SoCalHHR - Thanks, I really do enjoy the detailing world, and helping people make their look their best.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by adamlowery
Seriously. It's good to know what is bad for my HHR. Considering this is my first new car, I'm treating it like it was my new born child.
same here..
Old 02-26-2006, 12:03 PM

I Have 3 Different brands of the towels and all off them put little scratches on a CD. What brand doesnt do this?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:31 AM

guido99,
There are many brands that will work... shameless self promotion, mine won't scratch. However, look for towels that have a decent nap to them, and the threads per square inch are relatively thick and the Polyester/Polyamide content is 80/20, or 75/35, or 70/30. If they are 85/15, or 90/10, the Polyester count is too high to be scratch-free.
I have constantly tested the warehouse type towels, and while they are inexpensive, there ability to stay scratch free is limited.
I am curious where did you purchase them and does the tag state the content?

You could also try washing them by themselves and putting in 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Tumble dry on air, and retest them.

Quick Reply: Care and Feeding of Microfiber Towels (Long)