Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

To Cut or not to Cut????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Question To Cut or not to Cut????

Ok, for those with experience, I am debating on cutting my Black Chrome Grill into a 3 bar grill. My biggest concerns are how to touch it up where I have cut it, or is it polishable?

Thoughts on this?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM

You're not really going to be able to touch that up and make it look acceptable.....
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Can't polish plated plastic. Least not like an alloy piece.

You could try & make the cuts angled inward so as to not be as noticable, then use something to seal the cut ends. To prevent the chrome from peeling after it has been cut open. I have used clear paint with a Q-tip to dab on ends like this with good success..

Every chrome grille I have seen that has been cut, it's just hard to hide the cuts.

just sayin..

edit: here's my painted 2 bar...No cutting. I used satin black.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2011, 01:55 AM

I thought about cutting my blk chrome grill then passed on it.
If you decide to go that path don leave the edges jaged
i hate that it doesnt look clean.
jeff
Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 AM

I wonder what a very small diameter black split beading would look along those cut edges. Flush up the mesh. Might look good.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Can't polish plated plastic. Least not like an alloy piece.

You could try & make the cuts angled inward so as to not be as noticable, then use something to seal the cut ends. To prevent the chrome from peeling after it has been cut open. I have used clear paint with a Q-tip to dab on ends like this with good success..

Every chrome grille I have seen that has been cut, it's just hard to hide the cuts.

just sayin..

edit: here's my painted 2 bar...No cutting. I used satin black.
Yea, I kinda change grills like I change............

Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 AM
Rest In Peace

Like Sleeper says, you Gotta Seal the edges you cut or the Chrome will end up Peeling.

You gotta Try to Hide the cut edges by back cutting/sanding, so the Raw exposed edges won't show as much as possible.

Clear coat the edges as Sleeper said, you can use clear nail polish in a pinch, do 2-3 coats.

You can see here how I am sanding mine so it's Back Beveled to help Hide any cut/sanded areas.

Name:  47679657.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  cf3b72e0.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  53.4 KB

Just a few of the tools I use for modding projects.

Name:  516adb95.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  25874c9b.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  67.0 KB

And use MASKING TAPE to Cover your grille BEFORE you even start and use 2-3 layers. This will help Protect the parts you are Keeping from getting Scratched up as you work.

Name:  8fa001e4.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  64.5 KB

Heres a overall Fit shot before cleaning it all up and installing on my Panel.

Name:  e980d78d.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  60.2 KB

I know it's Not a "3 Bar Grille" but it should give you some hopefully Helpful Ideas for doing yours.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Sleeper, I may try just painting the two inner bars and see how I like it. Worst case scenario I don't and wind up cutting it anyways. LOL As for the clear paint, We use some stuff at work called Skydraw which is a clear coating we put on stenciled part numbers to keep them from "accidentally" being taken erased with Acetone or MEK.

Jeff, I am a perfectionist, that is why it takes me forever to do something, even after I have decided it is feesable for me to do it and make it look good, to my standards.

A&P thanks for the visual on the "tools" I have been working with metal for 20 years, although I don't a bunch of tools at the house, I am welcome to use anything at work as long as it is on my own time. Still some times wish I had more at home though but the lack of probably keeps me out of more trouble than i realize.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

John-

If you'd like a visual with out even painting. Use some black Electrical tape (or similar) on the 2 bars & cover them neatly.

Then you can stare at it for days, & see if it works for you (visually) or not.. This can be done w/grille still on the car (of course), & no commitment. Tape comes off easy.

Just another form of photoshopping.. lol

Don-
Your idea of using split-black (like-door edging) should work pretty good. Or even the chrome looking stuff. Either one, after sealing, to cap over the cuts...

Billy
Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 AM

I love how that looks... i was thinking about painting my stainles grill black and adding a lower black grill to match now i see how it would look.
jeff