Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

HID questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 PM

HID questions.

Okay, I know this has probably been covered a lot, but I have searched the forums and I am still a little confused on some things. My plan is to buy a conversion kit from DDM. I want to go with 35w 6000k. Now, I'm not worried about getting a ticket or anything, because here in OK. they don't really care about cars. I was looking at the options for the bulbs and DDM offers an H13 low and an H13 high/low. Can someone explain to me why there would be two options for this? As far as I know, the H13 has both high and low built into one bulb. Also, is it a better idea to try to retrofit a projector for the HID? I have seen some say they just install the HIDs into stock housings and I have seen others retrofit. It is just personal preference?

I was looking at the "how to" from Gas man (I think that was the member), and he showed how to install the High/lows. I noticed he was running some extra wires and a relay. Are these necessary? I've looked up as much as I could on the subject and he was the only one I saw adding a relay and extra stuff.

Again, this has probably been covered and I am sorry if I am asking repeated questions. If it's a problem, just tell me to bugger off and I'll try to keep researching lol. But, if anyone can answer these questions, I would be greatly thankful.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Welcome Danman03. The H13 could come in a low beam only but would have the correct plug. The 6000 will be a touch blue, white is 4200. The relay is to keep the daytime drivers going right. Hids work with or without a projector, so much more light without that you have to point them down, takes a little trial and error to find the sweet spot.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 PM

So, would it be best to get the High/low bulb? How hard is the install with the relay? I'm assuming the kit comes with instructions, but I would like to know before hand what I am getting myself into. I do have some wiring experience, but not so much when it comes to relays.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Danman03
So, would it be best to get the High/low bulb? How hard is the install with the relay? I'm assuming the kit comes with instructions, but I would like to know before hand what I am getting myself into. I do have some wiring experience, but not so much when it comes to relays.
Most people choose the high/low bulbs to keep the high beam headlights and flash-to-pass functioning.
Most cars use daytime running lights by running the high beams at half power. Running HIDS at half power can burn out the ballasts. Relay harnesses correct that.
In some areas running HIDS in housings not designed for them is illegal, as this shines much brighter into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

If you remove the front fascia it is an easy install, I followed the Chinese instructions.

Like Prod say's very important to aim them down if you don't use projectors.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2015, 10:33 PM

Okay thanks! If I buy the kit now, how hard would they be to reinstall on a retrofit housing? Like can I just stick the H13s in any projector or would I have to find a projector that takes that bulb? I think I noticed people using the H1 projector? I can't really remember....
Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

That's a little different the H-1 is the no drill option for projectors. The H-1 projector will need a H-1 bulb with a h-13 adapter to plug and play with your H13 wiring.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
That's a little different the H-1 is the no drill option for projectors. The H-1 projector will need a H-1 bulb with a h-13 adapter to plug and play with your H13 wiring.
Is there a projector option for the H13?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

I don't think so but these guys would know..Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the help. I'm just gonna go with the 35w 6000k high/low setup and see how well they do in the stock housing. I think further down the road I'll save up and do the retrofit. I'm gonna order the kit next week and hopefully I don't mess anything up lol.

Quick Reply: HID questions.