Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

High Beam & Fog Lights On At the Same Time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 AM

High Beam & Fog Lights On At the Same Time?

Anyone figured out how to make the fog lights stay on when the high beam is on too? It was a popular mod for Avalanche owners to have DRL, Fog, and high beam on at the same time and I was just wondering if some electrical genius figured out how to do it on the HHR.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadPig
Anyone figured out how to make the fog lights stay on when the high beam is on too? It was a popular mod for Avalanche owners to have DRL, Fog, and high beam on at the same time and I was just wondering if some electrical genius figured out how to do it on the HHR.
Sounds easy enough. You just find the hot wire for the high beams and make a jumper to the fog lights. A few minutes with a test light and couple piecea of wire should do it.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:02 PM

If you're in real fog though, your brights will actually reduce your visibility... the light just bounces back off the fog and now you can't see more than about 5' in front of the car...

that's probably more of a safety feature than anything else...
Old 08-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Not to mention that according to the DOT and Law Enforcement its illegal. You are not allowed to have the fog/driving lamps on along with the high beams. Hence the reason they deactivate when HB are switched on. Doing this will net you a "fix it" ticket if caught. Depends on the cop though.

I was pulled over for the retro fit HID's I did. The cop didn't believe I had HB capability. Showed him and all was good. He tried telling me that the blue projector headlights were illegal too! What an a$$hat! LOL! I digress..

Its easy enough to do by running a jump wire or a constant power to the switch instead of the LB activation. Just be forewarned that you can get pulled over for it.

EDIT:: DoT says no more than 4 forward facing headlights at a time. So, you may get away with fogs and HB combo.

Last edited by en0oNmAI; 08-15-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: DoT info
Old 08-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Up here in Messychusetts you would flunk your vehicle inspection. Then your butt can get in a jam if you get bagged. They can pull your tags right off the car if they stop you for uncorrected inspection violations.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM

He's talking about having the fogs work with the highs in addition to the lows. When I had my 01 SS Camaro alot of the guys at LS1.com were doing the same thing and It' a popular Pickup mod too. I had an old 94 chevy truck that I set up to allow the lows to stay on when the highs are on. It made a huge difference. I would look into that before I'd do the fog lights though.

Granted, I live in south Texas where 'headlight laws' are not a big enforcement issue . Infact if you get stopped for something like that the cops are looking for something else making head lights the least of your worries.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Nothing like blinding your on coming traffic!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by iwannaHHR
Sounds easy enough. You just find the hot wire for the high beams and make a jumper to the fog lights. A few minutes with a test light and couple piecea of wire should do it.
Not a good Idea, You would need a Diode in the wire to keep the high beams off when you just need the fog lights, like in fog (feedback).... Myself I would get some LED lights and mount them in the fog light housing and hook them up to the side marker lights.. that way they would look on anytime ANY of your lights were on and you would still keep the fog light functionality.... then again you could wire the LED up to a switch tied into a fuse that is only powered when the car is running and just turn them on anytime you wanted...
Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM

I wired mine to the low headlight beam, now my 10 amp fuse blows, can a 15 amp be put in to replace the 10 amp?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 AM

Granted, I wired all of mine up. But the fogs can be on alone, or with the hi or lows. If I'm meeting any other traffic, I won't have my hi's on anyway, so that legallity bit is out the window (and should be for anyone). I like it though, I drive out in the morning along a very twisty windy road, with the hi's and fogs on, I get distance and light directly in front.

If your in fog, it would make no differance if your fogs are on or not, if you have your hi's on, it's just going to glare back at you.

Quick Reply: High Beam & Fog Lights On At the Same Time?