Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

LED tails

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:49 PM

I would say the simplest answer is to tap off the front turn signal wires to your switch backs led's in the rear
only issue there would be if your turn signal is on your backup lights wouldn't work on 1 side but how often do you use turn signals backing up lol
Old 12-17-2018, 01:03 AM

Led reverse lights

Originally Posted by letterman7
Yes it was, although I wasn't an electronic geek even then.

That was a damn good question, so I had my wife stand behind the car :-) . Well, apparently with a brake application, all four lights (and center mount, of course... which apparently needs a bulb) come on - the 2 upper brake lights and the 2 ambers. With the brake depressed and a turn on, the turns function as normal - one red (and one amber) will flash, the other side will stay steady. So.. at the moment I have to disconnect the LED bulb as having amber brake is not allowed. I can live without a reverse light for the time being (or put the OE ones back in over the weekend when it warms up).
are you using double filament leds,u should be able to change the sockets, might have to add a Bosh relay
Old 12-17-2018, 09:13 PM

I'm using switchback LEDs, Ken, so there are both amber and white SMD's on the tower. I have an electronic relay that I am going to try.. just haven't gotten that far on it yet. Every weekend has been raining here!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the problem exist because of the shared ground in the bulb?
wouldnt it be better to isolate the grinds in the separate sides of the bulb?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by slykittycat
I would say the simplest answer is to tap off the front turn signal wires to your switch backs led's in the rear
only issue there would be if your turn signal is on your backup lights wouldn't work on 1 side but how often do you use turn signals backing up lol
Without some extra circuitry to stop the brake lights from illuminating the ambers, this will be your best bet. The switchbacks usually allow only one color at a time even with both voltages applied, so this is why when you apply the brakes the reverse light goes off and all brakes and amber lights come on.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the problem exist because of the shared ground in the bulb?
wouldnt it be better to isolate the grinds in the separate sides of the bulb?
The bulb only has a single ground, so there is no way to isolate each ground to each circuit in the bulb. The way switchbacks work are (2) + in to power each color, and (1) common ground.

Originally Posted by gio89kid

Without some extra circuitry to stop the brake lights from illuminating the ambers, this will be your best bet. The switchbacks usually allow only one color at a time even with both voltages applied, so this is why when you apply the brakes the reverse light goes off and all brakes and amber lights come on.
You didn't read the entire post. Reverse lights operate normally. Ambers are illuminated with brake light application - reverse are still off. I have an electronic relay to try that will isolate the + in, and should solve the issue. Just haven't gotten that far yet.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:22 AM

There are two modes, if you will, to the brake lights.

Mode 1: Running light.
Mode 2: Blinker/Brake light.

In order to stop the amber light from illuminating when applying the brakes, you would have to eliminate the Mode 2 voltage and that wouldn’t work for you as the wire for the blinker is the wire for the brakes.

You may be able to grab the voltage from the third brake light, since that is only on when braking and have it remove the voltage to the amber, but then you would not have amber blinkers with the brakes on.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 AM

I thought you said the reverse lights work except when you apply the brakes.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:53 AM

Oops, yes, I did. Sorry about that. My plan is to grab voltage from an unused harness in the rear passenger quarter. I have no idea what it's for, but there is a switched hot positive along with 6 or 7 other terminals. Probably something for a passenger version of the car rather than a panel. In any case, there is also a ground in there that I can tap off of. Both will be hooked to a relay for the switched power. Trigger + will come from the OE turn signal wire.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 AM

What a way to over complicate something simple lol

Quick Reply: LED tails