Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Mods - Exterior (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-exterior-55/)
-   -   Nightshade spray. Good idea? Bad idea? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods-exterior-55/nightshade-spray-good-idea-bad-idea-34600/)

XxBen NastyxX 03-16-2011 07:04 PM

Nightshade spray. Good idea? Bad idea?

This is my first post on the site and first off I want to say this site has been a lot of help to me modifying my HHR. It's pretty sweet that this site exist and their are lots of HHR enthusiasts like myself. I have some friends that work with me at the tire shop I work at, and they have used a product called "Nightshade" to black out their lights. For those not familiar with Nightshade it's basically like a spray paint for your lights that is supposed to be transparent. I was wondering if anyone on this site has used this product and would suggest me using it. I really like the brightness of my lights and I don't want to dumb them down. I know this stuff is supposed to be transparent, but I have my doubts. I was gonna order some Depo black headlight housings, but this stuff is only $16. Any suggestions? ..and I apologize if someone has threaded this question before and I missed it.

Greybeard999 03-16-2011 07:08 PM

It will cut down on the light output somewhat.... It's basically "tint in a can"

Mrs. DLVRNIT 03-16-2011 07:09 PM

Welcome to the Site :D! As for Nightshades we personally wouldn't recommend it on the Headlights, (around here it's mainly been used on the tail lights)! If you want to do it cheaply you could use a smoked tint film on your headlights (and would be removeable)! The prefered way is the Depo's or Fall Editions but be prepared to spend some major cash for them as you probably already know :wink:!

Best-O-Luck :thumb:,

XxBen NastyxX 03-16-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT (Post 545910)
Welcome to the Site :D! As for Nightshades we personally wouldn't recommend it on the Headlights! If you want to do it cheaply you could use a tint film on your headlights! The prefered way is the Depo's or Fall Editions but be prepared to spend some major cash for them :wink:!

Best-O-Luck :thumb:,

yeah, I saw them on ebay motors. all in all they are like $180 something with shipping cost. I was def gonna use night shade on my tail lights because as long as they are still bright enough legally that's fine with me. I've had people tell me as far as the fronts headlights go you can do it coat by coat and see if you like it. I guess if anything I could try it and if it's not what I want just order the Depo's.

Snoopy 03-16-2011 07:19 PM

I bought a case and a half (8 cans @ $3.95/ea) of Night Shades about 4 years ago, for another project. I wasn't happy with the end result. Afterward, I tried tinting the headlights and some other clear, and other transparent plastics.....wasn't happy with that result either. Also was a little concerned about the legality. Your results may be different. But, to each his own.

Gas Man 03-16-2011 09:03 PM

I've used it on my bumper markers and my rear reflectors. Can see some of the work in the pics.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-remove-your-rear-ss-bumper-bumper-reflectors-30694/

Putter 03-16-2011 09:59 PM

I have nightshades on my rear reflectors and side markers only. I finished up the project by applying clearcoat over the nightshades so it would be glossy. The nightshades spray alone left a satin or matte finish (at least in my case).
I installed R-Vinyl on my headlights (e-bay). I love the look, but as previously mentioned...it DOES reduce the light output quite a bit. (Depots are in the near future)

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...0/5/7/Fog9.jpg

Uma 03-16-2011 11:09 PM

I will chime in with the same advice...great for the reflectors and marker lights. To make it look even and nice, you need to make them pretty dark, would not recommend for tails or heads. Todd (Uma)

843de 03-17-2011 01:36 AM

I'd say if you're looking for the "two black eyes" appearance, the best way is to go with the Depo's. I'd never use anything that would decrease light output, its very easy to overdrive the standard lights anyway, why make the situation worse just for looks?

Sunflowerhippi 03-17-2011 05:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would not use it on your headlights. Nightshades is a spray on tint. If you tint you lights in any way it will cut down on light output. we've done a few sets of tails for friends who wanted it done on tail lights and side markets ext.. You will need to sand the item first, we did 6 very very light coats on each tail on the GTO. Once you are done you need to do the clear and then buff it to a shine depending on the clear you chose. However one you start you can't go back to stock without buying full replacements.

Attachment 29625

Attachment 29626

Guy didn't want a gloss so it is a more flat clear not high gloss.