Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Stupid rain guard question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Stupid rain guard question

OK, I'm pretty good at figuring things out for myself, I've built my share of cars and motorcycles form milk crates full of parts, but I'll be damned if I can't figure out how these rain guards (you know, the black plastic covers that divert the rain water away from the windows) go on.

They are made to slip behind the outer sheet metal, which would be great if the windows didn't need the rubber gaskets that go there as well. I have a similar style (although those are metal) on my G20 Van, but the van has no rubber gasket stopping me from mounting them.

I could trim the gaskets out of the way, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

Has anyone come across this or am I the lucky one, as usual. My guess is these were made without regard to the style of the windows.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM

Ripper,
My Weathergard 'in channel' rain/wind deflectors fit right in, just outside the weatherstripping. I didn't have to trim the weatherstrippping at all.
Guys on this site seem to prefer the 'in channel' type better, I've never seen the other types...
Mo
Old 05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Except me I like to keep the color from being interrupted by the window seal, like this.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SS fan; 05-21-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Administrator

I just slide my in channels into place and rolled up the windows to hold them in until the adhesive took hold.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

quote: "They are made to slip behind the outer sheet metal, which would be great if the windows didn't need the rubber gaskets that go there as well."

Don't want to sound dumb, but from your post it almost sounds like your trying to install them up against the sheet metal ?
No offense, but they go inside the channel of the window rubber weatherstrip.
The window when rolled up will actually touch the ventvisor.

All the above is a mute point if you have the kind that mount on the outer side of the door.(like SS fans in the above picture)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Take a look at this thread. Shows the in channel type vent visors installed.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mods...-visors-40790/
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 PM

These have tape on the outside and they are made to fit exactly behind the sheet metal, yet there's a rubber gasket in there. With the gasket, they don't fit properly. If I removed the gasket, they would fit exactly as they should. Add to that, the rubber gasket would still be on the outside of the window, in between the rain guard and the sheet metal. It wouldn't look right to me and if I take out the gasket, not only would it look worse, it would leak. I'll go look at that other thread to see if it involves my type of rain guards. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Mine look different than the ones in that thread. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe I just disliked the look so much, I didn't try hard enough to make them fit inside the gasket. It seems like a stupid idea to me.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you considered looking for a manufacturers web site to get directions?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Post up some pictures of the actual ventvisors. I think that's gonna be the way to clear this up.

Quick Reply: Stupid rain guard question