Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Window tint experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Window tint experts needed!

I usually never touch a cars window tint until I got a sunburn the other day and learned a lot about how damaging the sun can be to not only your car but your skin!!!

My car is an outdoor car because I don't have a garage, but I do my best with constant waxing to keep the paint in good condition.

I've noticed the top of the front interior plastic door is fading a little from grey to white, but the rears are not.

Question 1:
Does the factory tint in the back do a good job of blocking UV/IR/Heat?

Question 2:
What tint should I put on the front two windows? (I don't want them dark just want the protection, darker is fine just not real dark)

Question 3:
I have heard they sell clear tint for the front windshield but everyone wants $400 just to do that!

I'm looking for good quality with great protection on the cheap!

Pre cut would work too, I'm pretty good at doing things myself. But if a professional can ensure that factory tint look and quality, I will go that route.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Technical Moderator

Check your state laws!

In VA you can't put anything on the front windows below the arrows without a special permit. I had an inspector (he was a Toyota mechanic) flunk a car because I had a "TOYOTA" static clink tint visor attached to the inside of the windshield.

There are various laws about the amount of tint allowed, if I recall we figured out that we already have close to the legal amount from the factory. Many people don't care about their own or law enforcements health. Lots of people have gotten shot because through the tint it looked like they were reaching for a weapon and vice versa.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Ahh yes, I know that there is laws agains tint on the front windows.

They have a perfectly clear tint available now for the windshield that blocks uv and ir. No one can tell it's tinted.

And your allowed a certain percentage on the front two windows, I just want to know a brand that is good that won't be dark to protect uv/ir/heat damage.

And also, does our factory tint block uv/ir/heat like the aftermarket tint does?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Technical Moderator

Several years ago my aunt was suffering from a disease that made her incredibly sensitive to UV. She had to get special permission from the DMV to have UV blocking windshield, she had to carry the piece of paper with her in the car.

In my state they don't care if it is perfectly clear or not. Nothing except inspection and tax stickers is allowed to be applied to the windshield below the arrows.

Your state may be different, just advising that you check if you care about legal things.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have the clear UV protection on my entire windshield of my Colorado (and you can't tell it is on there). The price was $100. I'd say your tint shop is a little expensive.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM

Nice!

Do remember the brand they used on your window?

And how is it?
Noticeably different?

PS.
California Law
70% front windows
No tint at all below 4inches of front windshield.
Back windows doesn't matter.

Last edited by gio89kid; 06-23-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Technical Moderator

If you measure down 4 inches on the outside edges of the windshield you should see an arrow.

In my state clear is the same as tinted, depending on the inspector.

Lots of people "inspector shop." However, the police don't have to agree with inspectors either way. Sort of gets down to depends on who is looking at it.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

gio89kid....

I'll need to look for the invoice but, it was either 3M, Viper, Suntek.

Oh, I didn't notice where you are located. I believe California's law related to windshield prevents anything applied to the windshield with a couple of exceptions, as mentioned earlier.

However, where I'm located, the law specifically states tints and other coloring materials, thus allowing the clear crystalline ceramic product to be applied.

If professionally applied and done very carefully (no edges, streaks, etc.), a careful inspection would not reveal the application, do to the absolute clear product.

I have a black and dark grey interior. I have additional tint on the other windows, so it is difficult to determine if the windshield uv block is beneficial. But the dash does seem to be cooler to the touch than previously and if placing your hand in direct sunlight, outside the truck, and then, without touching the glass, placing the hand inside the windshield the radiation/heat seems to be less.

ONE CAVEAT..... a solar battery charger will not work when placed on the dash (it did previously to the uv shield install).
Old 06-24-2016, 03:42 PM

That sounds perfect!

Well I called a new place today and for 3m crystalline 80.

It's $50 a window!

And to do a clear on the front it's $200 for a cheaper brand and $350 for 3m.

They acted like my window is very curved so they are charging more?

Apparently flat windows are cheaper?

I wish I could find a place around your price that would be great.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:04 PM

Here is the California law. California Law

The pertinent information starts about 2/3 down the page.

Quick Reply: Window tint experts needed!