Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

colorado customs steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Smile colorado customs steering wheel

im looking to buy and install the classic two tone steering wheel from colorado customs in my 2010 hhr but im wondering if its a simple steering wheel swap or if there is alot more involved. godfather customs installed it in a hhr they customized for sema. im wondering if anybody knows if it will fit in the car or do i have to customize the hub to make it fit.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 PM

this is the steering wheel

http://www.coloradocustom.com/Produc...tID=28&DivCat=
Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 PM

It has no SRS (airbag). Something would have to be done with the sytem that monitors that. Also, If you modify/remove a factory installed safety device, you could run into liability issues with your insurance company if your are ever (heaven forbid) involved in an accident.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Deceased

if you have a leather steering wheel now you can paint it and make it 2-tone
i love mine
Name:  DSC_2873.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  66.7 KB
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 AM

ya and it also doesnt allow for cruise control but my car's airbag doesnt work so im fine with that and i hardly go on the highway so i dont use cruise control alot either so im fine with it. i really want a 50's looking steering wheel and that one is perfect i hate the factory steering wheel. if i cant make the steering wheel work im just going to make the factory one look old somehow. lol
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by littlereddevil123
........my car's airbag doesnt work so im fine.......
Actually, you're not fine if it doesn't work but it's your car and your call but the SRS is there to save your ass. Even if you decide to keep the factory wheel you should really get it fixed. JMO...I'll leave your thread alone now
Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Administrator

another member swapped out the steering wheel and he had issues with the gauges not functioning along with the SRS and DIC/ cruise control, maybe a search in the search window will find any answers to these issues, I believe it was PyroPanel.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 PM

so i called godfather customs today, the people who installed this steering wheel on their hhr. they said that the only hard part was removing the steering wheel, install was easy and the gauge just shows on the screen svc airbag and svc cruise control but to continue to have cruise i can take apart the silver button cluster from the factory wheel, run the wires behind the hub and mount it on the dash behind the wheel. im going to order the wheel in three months when i have the cash for it and do some more research before i under go this project lol
Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by littlereddevil123
so i called godfather customs today, the people who installed this steering wheel on their hhr. they said that the only hard part was removing the steering wheel, install was easy and the gauge just shows on the screen svc airbag and svc cruise control but to continue to have cruise i can take apart the silver button cluster from the factory wheel, run the wires behind the hub and mount it on the dash behind the wheel. im going to order the wheel in three months when i have the cash for it and do some more research before i under go this project lol
Not as simple as you make it sound. You would have to cut and splice into the wiring harness below the dash on the column. Then make and run a new harness to the control buttons new location.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Former Sponsor

the problem you will run into is that there is NO ADAPTER that will fit...the spline on the steering wheel shaft itself is a goofy key pattern...look at your wheel when you remove it you will see the female half to this in the wheel...put on FN safety glasses!!!this sucker is pressed in and takes a good touch to knock it loose..we cut the wheel to relive a bit of stress of it..came out pretty good...use a press..get a catchers mitt...lol....now take that little thing you just chased all over the floor and your gunna need a GRANT HUB ADAPTER...machine out the center of the Grant to fit the outer diameter of the spline hub...make it fit like tight..this is important...as you machine the Grant the remaining material is very thin..be carefull...cnc machine works best...press fit these together and now you can useany 5,6 or 9 hole configuration wheel ..now move your controls(radio,cruise) down to desired location...not hard to make an extension harness...as for your bags...they now do not work..as same for your remote start..car now thinks its in an accident..will also read check bags on dash display...as my car was more built for show..this was no concern to me..nor was the drivers bag as its no different than all the other rods Ive owned..never had a bags...as for legality...its your choice..the law only states(in Canada anyway)that the bags will only need to be operational when you go to resell or change names on ownership..mind you with driveclean the airbag code is also a reason "not to test"..beat that with keeping an old wheel around to swap in and out when need be...(wreckers 20$)..check my pics...its all there step by step...oh yea..you will also need to fab a 2 inch spacer as the clamshell gets tossed and wheel sits to close to sticks...I made mine outa Billet aluminum

Quick Reply: colorado customs steering wheel