Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

The joys of replacing map lights in rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:41 PM

The joys of replacing map lights in rear view mirror

Good afternoon,

Today I decided to switch out my incandescent 2825 bulbs in my rear view mirror to T10 wedge SMD lighting. I also changed out the license plate lighting also. The license plate lighting was a breeze. Took a little longer to figure it out because I am still a newbie to these vehicles. The mirror was my worse enemy though. I took out the driver side with no issues. The passenger side was horrible. Lol. So after I tried to pull the wedge out with a pair of pliers because my fingers were to fat to pull it out, the bulb exploded. The wedge was stuck clear into the base. I tried shorter pliers but no go. So after sitting in the hot sun for about 15 minutes trying to figure out how I was going to do this, I unplugged the mirror and unscrewed the torx screw in the mirror. I took it into my house and started to pry the mirror apart. Long story short, moral of the story is: don't use pliers to pull out a broken glass wedge bulb. The best way if this happens is to just take off the mirror and pull it apart and push the broken wedge out through the back of the connector. I will post pics when it is dark out. The lighting cost $1 + free shipping for a 2 pack on Amazon and they look great.