Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Panel Storage Bins vs Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Panel Storage Bins vs Rear Seats

I figure that this has been done somewhere. Is it possible to remove the rear seats and replace them with the cargo bins from a HHR panel? I carry more stuff than people. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Banned

Whitefodo.

I have personally tried this undertaking, and still plan to finish at some point. However, the Panel boxes in the rear seat area are WIDER than the seat itself. What myself and Garry(Speedwagen) have come to the conclusion of, is, you would have to mod panel door shrouds for the inside to work on a non panel. I am sure you have looked at the door shrouds inside the back door on a panel. So how it has the "dent" for the window area is likely where you would have to cut to put it on a non panel, and then heat and roll the plastic to go over to the window, so when you roll the window down, you don't get stuff wet. I would have done this a while ago, but I have just never had the time needed for this weekend project as my car has been a daily driver with no double consecutive days off, or garage and tools.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM

I have a 2008 Panel and I took the bin(s) out and the frame and put in a seat from a salvage yard. If you can do this you should be able to add bins in a non-panel. I have a set of bins and frame, etc but shipping would be too high.

Boydie Back in the Saddle.....................

Originally Posted by Whitefodo
I figure that this has been done somewhere. Is it possible to remove the rear seats and replace them with the cargo bins from a HHR panel? I carry more stuff than people. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Would it be easier, in your opinion, to replace the back door with a panel door instead of a window door? what other issues would I encounter? How do panel doors open with shaved door handles? It sounds like this is more of a pita than it might be worth.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Banned

Not quite what I am saying. I am saying the plastic door inside for the panel version would have to be cut so you can heat the plastic and bend it over, and then reinstall it as the existing one is. You may end up with some wires hanging i.e. window switch, door lock actuator, speaker(not 100% sure) on both sides. I have personally contemplated this one a few times, and thought maybe it would be better to line up where the box angles come into the plastic door frame inside, and carve that out and seal up that small portion somehow.