North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME

Little Road Trip to Mystic Ct then to Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Little Road Trip to Mystic Ct then to Rhode Island

Taking a little trip for 1 day in Mystic Conn to the Shopping area there, especially the Pizza place that was inside the shopping area (good thing too, because it will be a whole day affair...). Went a few years ago and family wanted to revisit. Staying the night then moving on to all over Rhode Island for 3 to 4 days, maybe even sneaking a ride into nearby Mass.

We have some points of interest in RI to go to but I was looking for a locals point of view on what should be visited. We are up for most anything, shopping, eating, sight seeing, museums, small town walk through, etc. Wanting to just take my wife & kids away to give them some stress free time and fresh air away from the remembrance of the passing of both my In-Laws a few months back. It will give my wife a little break, and shes the one who figured RI should be a nice place, so that's where I'll take her.

Also have a new Valero/Shamrock Credit card with .30 off a gallon and would like to know if there are any stations around.

Any suggestions for family stuff?

Greatly appreciated,
Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Hit up Newport!!! the cliff walk is nice!!!

The beaches in southern RI is nice!!!

The mall in Providence is kinda nice!!!

If it is going on... look for "fire on the water" in providence in the evening!!!

You'll be about an hour from Cape Cod!!! Maybe head out that way!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info roadkill. Will be passing it on to the navigator....

Anyone else to add?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

I'll second Newport....especially if you are into antiques. The old Armory is an antique mall, which had some good deals when I was there for a couple weeks, a few years back.

Didn't find much as far as good restaurants in Newport (just average), except for an Italian place on a side street.. There is also a restuarant about mid block on the main street that has a relatively good buffet. But Providence makes up for it...especially the Italian.

Do the cliff walk, as suggested. The OLD Mansions are outrageous and worth the admission price but they get a little steep in price. Oh and the old mansions are really the summer homes of the old great millionaires....Vanderbuilt, Astor, etc. Take a jacket, the wind from the Atlantic is cold.

The road to Cape Cod also has many antique stores, but they are hard to deal with, money wise.

Mystic is fun. Tour the old whaling ship and understand the hardship of the mariners.

Good luck and take a camera.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Been to Newport MANY times over the years! One of my favorite places!

Snoopy doesn't know where the GOOD restaurants are.

First, when are you going? It's not the "season" up there yet, so activity may be slow. Also, how old are the kids?

Suggestions:

* Old waterfront area, namely along Thames St. Lots of old shops, views and restaurants, etc. My absolute favorite restaurant is the Cooke House on Bannister's Wharf. Their more casual area is called the Candy Store. That used to be "the" hangout during the America's Cup days and there's a lot of history there. Their clam chowder is to die for! There are some good cruises of the harbor from there, too!

* If kids, don't miss Brenton Point State Park, at the SW tip of the island. Very famous for kite flying and often there are hundreds of awesome kites being flown there. Kids love that! Right on the ocean, too. At low tide you can wade out onto the rocks. My daughter always to love to hunt for starfish there.

* Fort Adams: old fort that protected the harbor in the old days. Site of the famous Newport Jazz Festival and other events.

* Bellevue Ave., where the mansions are located. They (the 1%) called them "cottages". Right! Cliff walk is just behind them to the east along the water.

* Tennis Hall of Fame.

* Polo matches, just outside of town.

* Dog racing

* Very casual, not fancy, nor great, but a "tradition" there: Flow's Clam Shack. Specialty is fried clam strips.

And lots more!!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Going next week. Would have liked the canal gondolas & river fire but they are not yet. Only time wife could escape from work & the kids are off. Both girls, one is 13 with a 30 y.o. maturity and will do/see anything without complaint, the other, 17 will graduate HS this year, and well ya know is being a teenager....

Originally Posted by JoeR
Been to Newport MANY times over the years! One of my favorite places!

Snoopy doesn't know where the GOOD restaurants are.

First, when are you going? It's not the "season" up there yet, so activity may be slow. Also, how old are the kids?

Suggestions:

* Old waterfront area, namely along Thames St. Lots of old shops, views and restaurants, etc. My absolute favorite restaurant is the Cooke House on Bannister's Wharf. Their more casual area is called the Candy Store. That used to be "the" hangout during the America's Cup days and there's a lot of history there. Their clam chowder is to die for! There are some good cruises of the harbor from there, too!

* If kids, don't miss Brenton Point State Park, at the SW tip of the island. Very famous for kite flying and often there are hundreds of awesome kites being flown there. Kids love that! Right on the ocean, too. At low tide you can wade out onto the rocks. My daughter always to love to hunt for starfish there.

* Fort Adams: old fort that protected the harbor in the old days. Site of the famous Newport Jazz Festival and other events.

* Bellevue Ave., where the mansions are located. They (the 1%) called them "cottages". Right! Cliff walk is just behind them to the east along the water.

* Tennis Hall of Fame.

* Polo matches, just outside of town.

* Dog racing

* Very casual, not fancy, nor great, but a "tradition" there: Flow's Clam Shack. Specialty is fried clam strips.

And lots more!!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM

Well, given your daughters ages, when mine was in that range her favorites in Newport were shopping the stores along Thames St., the kites and ocean at Brenton Point and eating good food, especially the chowder, at the Candy Store. She's always wanted to go back over the years.

Have a good trip and enjoy!!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Benjamin's seafood... Doesn't look like much from the outside, but if you like good seafood, it's the place... One of the few places opened year round in Newport. This says alot.

http://www.benjaminsnewport.com/benjamins%20menu.htm
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM

This is very sad. I have seen only 2 HHRs both look like rentals, with one of those in the parking lot at the hotel here in west warwick rhode island.
Been driving around since monday from conn to ri and still have 2 nights and days left. Where did they go?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
This is very sad. I have seen only 2 HHRs both look like rentals, with one of those in the parking lot at the hotel here in west warwick rhode island.
Been driving around since monday from conn to ri and still have 2 nights and days left. Where did they go?
I wasn't there, so there's none. When I go to RI, I experience the same HHR sightings as you. Lots of ToyoHonDatuns, Sushi bars and adults wearing baby hats with pop-poms and cheek flaps, but little relating to traditional American style or culture.

Quick Reply: Little Road Trip to Mystic Ct then to Rhode Island