North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME

Possible Move..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM

Possible Move..

All, We are pondering a Move that would take Us to the Boston Area. My Fiancee's job would take her there. The long term Goal would be for her to get into the area she went to school for which is Fashion Design. However for know it would be opening another store.

I won't release the companies name, however they have been around for over 100yr's and is based out of Maine.

My Current employer's Contract has ended and we were all pushed into other departments, Which only have a Future contract of 1.2 Year's and know New accounts are interested at this time. Seems like this could be a Good/Scary Move for us.
Biggest thing we have going on is our Wedding Which is in Sept. Also our lease is up in Oct.

One thing we have going for us is we're only 25. We not even for another week!.

What is everyone's thought's. What is the price different between Boston and Chicago? Just lookin for some good Old Chevyhhr Advice.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM

At age 25, with the way things are now, I would take the chance. You do not have much to hold you back.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM

I don't live in Chicago, so I can't give that good of a comparison, but I do have an office in Boston that I have been to a few times. My current Creative Director here lived in Boston for 2 years, and I've talked with people from that office. The basic overtone is extremely expensive. I know most cities are, but still.

When my boss sold their condo they were able to get a really nice house here, in one of the best neighborhoods for a lot less then they were spending there. She's always talking about living in Boston and costs of things always come up and to me it just sounds ridiculous.

On the other hand though, you move to where your work is. I have a friend who has a degree in fashion design as well, she isn't doing much with it, not a lot out there for it right now. Luckily my sister and I both have jobs in the design field, she is an interior designer and i am a graphic designer.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM

With the economy the way it is, I'd go for it.

I myself am planning to move soon, because there's nothing worth sticking around for here.

The main thing right now is a job, and if you aren't in the best situation now, I'd say go for it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
I don't live in Chicago, so I can't give that good of a comparison, but I do have an office in Boston that I have been to a few times. My current Creative Director here lived in Boston for 2 years, and I've talked with people from that office. The basic overtone is extremely expensive. I know most cities are, but still.

When my boss sold their condo they were able to get a really nice house here, in one of the best neighborhoods for a lot less then they were spending there. She's always talking about living in Boston and costs of things always come up and to me it just sounds ridiculous.

On the other hand though, you move to where your work is. I have a friend who has a degree in fashion design as well, she isn't doing much with it, not a lot out there for it right now. Luckily my sister and I both have jobs in the design field, she is an interior designer and i am a graphic designer.
Yea, She Graduated in June, right before the bottom of the economy fell out. Luckily she was able to get a job at LL Bean. They just opened two in IL. and Started as a Sale's Associate, from there moved up to Visual Merchandiser. She enjoys it as it does have something to do with the hole fashion design Field. The idea would be to go to Boston and open another store and hopefully within a year or so with a improving economy get into LL Bean Corp.

She really seems like she wants to go, im all for it. at least one of is going higher or atleast making attempt. Apparently the last 7.5 year's was my high point. Time to start over again i guess.. Have know idea WTF i'm going to do. I've been with this company/Crew since High School its like leaving your family in the dust.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 PM

you didn't mention the name earlier, but somehow I thought it was LL Bean
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
you didn't mention the name earlier, but somehow I thought it was LL Bean
Yea, They've opened two here and are planning more all over in different parts of the Country. Kinda funny people around here still have know idea what they do or where there at.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM

I wouldn't mind a local one here. We have a couple duffle bags from them, I have some snowshoes and some great winter boots (so warm and got them for an even better price). My in-laws have bought from them for years.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 PM

living in Boston itself is expensive, the suburbs are cheaper but then you have the commute. It all depends on what you prefer,city or country. Where about are they planning on locating the store?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 AM

There is a web-site that gives you a comparison of cost of living. You enter where you live now, and how much you make, it tells you how much you need to live in that area. Will look around for the site. Chicago/Boston have to be very comparable. I have nephews living in Boston and can tell you it is extremely expensive.

My nephew's wife graduated with a fashion design degree two or three years ago and I can tell you she can't find work - everything has moved off-shore. While I'm in agreement that being young is a good time to move, I'm more of the opinion now that this is the time to stay put if you or one of you has a good job for now. If you can secure a good job quietly with some firm committments from a new employer, fine. If not, assuming you have a strong job and you like it, hold on and keep the money coming in - but keep your eyes open.

Quick Reply: Possible Move..