Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

HHR Tent

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

you couldnt tell it was PS'd?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM

I remember when the Aztek was still in concept phase. They had photos of it with a tent that could fold out from the vehicle (kinda like this one, but a little easier to deploy). I remember seeing that & wanting one... but then the car actually came out and I changed my mind quick!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Meh, I dont think I would be happy with the seal around the vehicle. I would worry about bugs and small animals. Probaly use a regular tent for equipment and throw an air matress in the back of the vehicle. But then any "nocturnal activity" with the wife would be evidenced by a wildly swaying HHR.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM

We have one for the Maggie, and you are absolutely right about the seal. No matter where we camp it does get cold and damp at night and I don't care for such in either my car or my tent. And that's not all -- we worry about little animals, mosquitos, and even prying people (security). We used it attached a few times and after that, went with free-standing. Oh, and if you want to get really quibbly, there's even the "don't scratch the car" issue with the attaching of the tent.

One cool thing though is having the zip-open side makes for quick jettison and handing through of the gear when you're on that side.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
Okay I thought I saw this pic on here but can't find it again to read about it. I have had this on my comp for awhile now thinking of getting one. I just opened to look at it again and noticed its a photochop image!!! Do they make these for our cars or is this just a universal auto tent.
I can see the headlines "5 people killed from exhaust fumes"

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-21-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Removed pic from quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 PM

yep
Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by prod
But then any "nocturnal activity" with the wife would be evidenced by a wildly swaying HHR.

Newlyweds!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Imnsho...

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
Newlyweds!!!
I OWN the coolest black Panel in the country ... but Im willing to conceed second :) just kidding Mate Good luck now back to the Tent...

Okay well heres the Gig this spring goin on an annual trip with good friends and theres a 90% probability we are going to S.Carolina/ Ga. to go grubbin for Gems and Gold. We went a year ago and stopped only as a daylong thing but had soooooo much fun man we all want to go back ...

Now three essentials I am looking at are ...

1) A "hidden" (wondering the exact definition of that ) Hitch mount ...

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_h...--PRD8398.aspx

2) A Hitch mounted Cargo cargo Basket ... this one I offer just based on Price , plus I have to do more math to make sure it all fits ...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGkQ8gIwBQ#

3) An SUV Tent such as were discussing...
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_h...en=26573378413

NOW as for seals around the vehical , I suppose its the Cav Recon troop in me but I really never am happy with gear untill I modify it , I figured the attached area near the vehical would require a little doctoring and was considering two approaches ... Magnet or 1-1 1/4" surgical type tubing afixed by the most rugged or practical means to the seam of the tent along that opening... magnet would be strip , the same as you find in refridgerator door seals , of course would be dependant of wether or not there is sifficent amout of metal to hold it tight under most conditions ...lets face it hurricanes and tornadoes ...well yer screwed ...

As for scratches "Dip it" the rubber like liquid sold for years as a way to coat your tool handles now cones in spray form and a variety of colors as well ... this is a GREAT albiet a little pricy way to coat Items that might otherwise scratch anywhere you intend to use them , works well no ropes and lines too so it doesnt scratch the bedposts or leave ligature marks on the wifes ...errrrrrr... wait I jumped tracks ... Uhhem ... well there it is ...any info anyone has to add would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Adendum : Recently deciding to purchase the moon eyes "Hub Cap" type ( mostly due to suggestions and warnings here here about cracking on the reg styles ...to which i say thank you all ... I also encountered an issues with the dust and gravel bits from all the damned construction going on round here getting in them and rattling around annoying the holy Bujeezzzus outa me.... Grrr ... the affore mentioned "dip" it" to the rescue Inside the hub cap ...scratch the surface of the interior with a fine grain sandpaper I used a 120 and tape off round the edges where the retaining pressure clips are ... spray a coating of the rubberized paint allow to dry for a couple of days and BOOM BAM BING ... no more ding-a-ding ,ding!

Last edited by Ogre999; 07-24-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: cause im an idiot ... and I cant type
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ogre999
2) A Hitch mounted Cargo cargo Basket ... this one I offer just based on Price , plus I have to do more math to make sure it all fits ...

[
I use this one-http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wheelchair-Cargo/Cargo-carriers/Compact-Car-Cargo-Carrier?id=6699. The one you looked at is for a 2in receiver-mine is a solid 1 1/4 bar.

Nicely raised off the ground and at bumper level, nicely adjustable, and meets the HHRs tounge rating plus the tray is a very stable one piece. Worth the price for what I need it for and still a good size for a large cooler or cargo bag. Another reason I bought it was it fits inside the HHR without putting the seats down if you need to stow it. If you have it shipped to a UHaul near you there is no shipping cost. (By the way-the side rails don't come with it-the ad states that but it is misleading in the picture)

How mine looks:

Quick Reply: HHR Tent