Plasti-Dip/Plasti-Dipping A sub-forum for the discussion of Plasti-Dip and its various uses.

Plasti Dipped HHR

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 PM

I just did a two tone red/black on our company's xB. Thinking I'm going to do my SS in red this spring. Getting to cold for me to want to spend the time in the garage now.

I used the HVLP spayer on dipyourcar.com and their gallons. Thinking for red over my black I'll probably need 4 Gallons. 2 Gallons for the bottom half the xB turned out to not quite cover well enough.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by havoc3d
I just did a two tone red/black on our company's xB. Thinking I'm going to do my SS in red this spring. Getting to cold for me to want to spend the time in the garage now.

I used the HVLP spayer on dipyourcar.com and their gallons. Thinking for red over my black I'll probably need 4 Gallons. 2 Gallons for the bottom half the xB turned out to not quite cover well enough.
Pics??
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Can anyone estimate how many cans it would take to Plasti-dip the four fenders, both running boards and both bumpers?

Thanks

Boydie

Originally Posted by Oldblue
some red and white pin stripes and wow hot rod retro!!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 PM

You will need quite a few, but i wouldn't suggest using the rattle cans for that much surface area. If at all possible, get the spray gun and a gallon of dip. The rattle cans are good for wheels, and each wheel usually takes one can, just as a reference for coverage. If you do decide to go for it, i would think about 8-10 should get the job done, with adequate layers ( you will regret spraying too thin when it comes to peeling it off later, i know this from experience ). Rattle cans can yield descent results with a little practice, i just prefer the gallons for an easier application. Have you checked Dip Your Car to see if there are any authorized dealers in your area?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Thank you lunchbox. Not sure how I will proceed. I live in Northern Michigan, not close to any metropolitan areas. I painted cars for a hobby and the gallon and sprayer would be the way to go. I'll check Dip your car to see if any are close.

Boydie

Originally Posted by lunchbox
You will need quite a few, but i wouldn't suggest using the rattle cans for that much surface area. If at all possible, get the spray gun and a gallon of dip. The rattle cans are good for wheels, and each wheel usually takes one can, just as a reference for coverage. If you do decide to go for it, i would think about 8-10 should get the job done, with adequate layers ( you will regret spraying too thin when it comes to peeling it off later, i know this from experience ). Rattle cans can yield descent results with a little practice, i just prefer the gallons for an easier application. Have you checked Dip Your Car to see if there are any authorized dealers in your area?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 AM

+ 1 for Lunchbox. If you didn't put at least 4 coats, it will be a ***** to peel off. Sprayed the front of wife's car and it took everything the interstate(under construction 40 mi.) could throw at it.