Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

06 LT New fobs will not program

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 AM

06 LT New fobs will not program

I know there are a thousand threads on key fobs here... I've read them. None seem to address the issue I am facing.

I bought my HHR used and like when I bought my Equinox a few years ago, it came with only one key. I took the vehicle to the GM dealer to buy fobs and have them programmed. Worked great for the Equinox, not for the HHR.

According to the dealership and the local locksmith, my car will not accept programming. My last hope was the Dorman replacement fob at Autozone. Again, no luck. The Dorman instructions say to turn on the car (to run but don't crank it) insert the ODB dongle and wait for a light or a chime. Then hold Lock and Unlock until a chime, buzz or lock cycle. In my case, I follow those instructions but it doesn't make any sound until about 60 seconds after I insert the dongle. Then it beeps several times for about 20 seconds and stops. I've tried holding the lock and unlock after that but nothing happens.

It simply will not program. My dealership says it should show "diagnostic mode" on the dash and does not. The locksmith says it simply ignores his scanner. What have I not tried? What do you suggest?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site from another Alabama guy.

Could be as simple as a blown fuse to the cigarette lighter/outlet that also powers the OBD port.
Or, is your car even fob optioned ? Some former rental/fleet cars had the remote fob operation deleted at the factory. Check the RPO build sticker in the glove box. Look for code AP3. That is the build code your car will need to have.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:58 AM

I'll look for the sticker. The dealership says it has keyless entry and remote start based on the last 8 of the VIN.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. It's just that. A serial number with a few other things like model and where it was built.
To find out how it's equipped and the options it has, you need to look at the original build info. Or for the car owner, that little sticker I mentioned in the glove box will tell you everything.
We even have a RPO thread on this forum that will define those codes. Try this link:https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...options-12674/ starts at post #9.

As stated before. Check that fuse and check for the AP3 code.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Technical Moderator

I think that they all came with RKE, some had RVS deleted. But 2006 was an odd year, optionwise. Since some had TPMS, they require RKE.

My first thought is check the fuse. underhood #29 & #30. Also the BCM fuse RDO #23.

Digital Owner Manual available through the link in my sig.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sometimes a loose ground wire can cause issues and a weak older battery , then again a loose fuse box under the hood. These should also cause other issues.
I'd look at the grounds

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/
Old 07-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by donbrew
I think that they all came with RKE, some had RVS deleted. But 2006 was an odd year, optionwise. Since some had TPMS, they require RKE.

My first thought is check the fuse. underhood #29 & #30. Also the BCM fuse RDO #23.

Digital Owner Manual available through the link in my sig.
Checked the fuses mentioned (all power outlets working as well), also checked the radio fuse on another suggestion. Still nada.

Can't find a sticker in the glove compartment but the dealership assures me that all of the HHRs of that year had RKE and that mine in particular should have RVE as well.

It's a bit of a pain because if I lock the doors with the driver door open the alarm sounds every time I get in it. So any passengers have to get out and shut the door, I use the button to lock the doors then manually unlock the driver door to get out and re-lock it before I shut it.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Does the front power outlet work?

Have you looked behind the driver side rear interior trim panel to see if the RCDLR is there?

I think You should try another GM dealer.

Name:  RCDLR.PNG
Views: 1524
Size:  38.6 KB
Old 07-29-2023, 04:57 PM

Same issue

My 07 had the same problem. Only came with one key and one fob. When I had to have the gas tank replaced at the dealership, I asked for a new key and fob. The key they got working fine but the fob they could not program. This sucks because now my only working fob, the battery clip has come undone from the chip and it has been real tempermental at times when trying to use it. I'm going to have to solder it. The dealership offered to keep it for a few more days to work on getting a new fob to work but they already had it a week and I needed it back. This seems to be a common issue with the HHR.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Is the new fob Genuine GM?
It is not the fob that gets programmed it is the car.
Try a different dealer or a locksmith. If your existing fob works there is no reason the new one could not be matched; the tech can't follow directions. If they said it was because they couldn't connect to the car, the fuse for the cig lighter /front 12 volt accessory outlet is blown #29 under hood fuse box.. The entire process takes about 15 minutes. Or, buy a Dorman fob with programmer, the fob might not work right but it will work for any brand fob that has the same FCC number.
If you had read the Owner Manual you could have done the key yourself. Link in my sig to free Owner Manual.

Quick Reply: 06 LT New fobs will not program