Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

08 SS leaking boost bad and no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 PM

08 SS leaking boost bad and no power

Hey guys, I am currently having a major problem with the car leaking boost (it sounds it) and losing all power. It's a 2008 Automatic SS with 38,000 miles

The only mod i have done is GM Power Upgrade installed by my dealer about 1 year ago

I was merging off a yield onto a two lane highway with about half throttle to get into traffic and it lost all power and then would pick back up with my foot to the floor.

I pull over to the shoulder, Shut the car off and see if it does it again because in the past it would do this and shutting the car off and back on would fix it somehow.

Now it's doing the same thing and the bypass valve has a weird sound to it when you let off the throttle than before when it's at WOT, Every so often when your cruising normally and barley get into it you can hear boost literally leaking out on the drivers side and there is zero power. Other times it acts perfectly fine but now i have a CEL and can't read it until the morning at a auto parts store. Reason i think it's leaking boost somehow is because on normal i can get 26psi and it holds but this time it goes to 26psi then goes down to 8psi

Any ideas on what this could be before i take it to my dealer (under warranty)

I have looked at the piping and couplers from what i could see going to the front mount and they seem intact and not blown off.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 AM

Sounds like it could be the common problem of the engine rocking under acceleration and hitting the lower stage1 sensor. There are other posts here about it if you search.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Do you still have the stock IC piping? Ive heard some stories of them getting small cracks in them.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 AM

I'd check around the boost (Intercooler) Piping as well....I saw mighty mouse was without his car for like 6 weeks...So I instantly took my factory OEM crap off and had SSA build me some out of Polished Stainless Steel. it could also be your Intercooler its made out of plastic end tanks as well...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Sounds like it could be the common problem of the engine rocking under acceleration and hitting the lower stage1 sensor. There are other posts here about it if you search.
I actually made a posting with that issue and got it fixed and now this is a different problem it seems

I'm taking the front bumper off today and looking at the piping and ends of the FMIC since the dealership doesn't have a open appointment until next thursday
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

If it sound like the valve could it be the valve is not functioning properly ?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 AM

Yup...check piping and/or the bypass valve,,if it was the sensor the sound wouldnt be there
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM

I pushed the intercooler piping onto the end tank of the passenger side more than it was and now its working fine. That stupid design on the bottom tmap sensor was causing it to come back and hit it. It was about 1/2" or so from the sensor.

So far, so good. The engine code was engine overboost.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm glad you fixed it yourself. You neither had to wait for the dealer to diagnose it nor wait for parts. I am not technically competent, so I would never have been able to do it. Stuff like this warns me away from the SS, as opposed to the 2LT.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 PM

So for those that have had this, wouldnt upgrading the engine/trans mounts to something from TTR or PRS help?

Quick Reply: 08 SS leaking boost bad and no power