Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2.2 LE8 VVT Sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 01:33 PM

Trying to replace my timing chain and components. I'm getting mixed answers for the correct part #'s for the VVT sprokets. I made the mistake of ordering the Cloyes Kit without the sprockets (4201SAWP). All the part sites (including Cloyes) only show the VC107 (exhaust sprocket) for the LE8. The other brands mention the sprocket being the same. However, I called Cloyes and was told I needed the VC106 for the intake side. When I searched this part it only refers to being used in the 2.0 and 2.4. Does someone know the correct answer?

Also, could I get away with not changing them for now (I do have new bolts) and come back and change them at a later date without any negative effects? My only issue is I'm having some performance and gas mileage issues, and although I don't have any CELs that relate to the cam, the symptoms match the phasers possibility being bad ( could also just be that the chain is stretched, I haven't torn it apart yet).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-06-2023 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:58 PM

What is wrong with the sprockets? They don't normally wear out. I think they are integral with the VVT actuators/ phasers. I would not bother with them unless there is visible wear.

Say "no CEL:S that relate to the cam" makes me think there are CELs; there are a lot that don't seem to relate to cams that do.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:25 PM
Administrator

You don’t need to replace the VVT sprockets unless they are damaged. ZZP frequently has VVT sprockets available, take offs from LNF engines, same for the 2.2 LE8

I’ve never had to replace VVT sprockets, I suggest you go ahead and change your timing chain, balance shaft chain and water pump. Cloyes is the go to kit for this application, I don’t change the balance shaft sprockets either, very rarely do they get damaged unless the chain breaks.

I strongly recommend installing this front guide
https://zzperformance.com/products/z...ng-chain-guide
And one of these replacement bolts
https://zzperformance.com/products/e...ain-guide-bolt
Old 11-06-2023, 03:54 PM

I've done at least 10 timing chain replacements and never replaced the VVT sprockets.

As donbrew said, they are part of the VVT actuator system (oil flow into them controls the actuator angle change).

Look at them, and unless you see visible damage or unusual wear, don't replace them.

Steve
Old 11-06-2023, 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. Saved me a little money! Will knock out tmw and report back if I have any issues 😆😅😁
Old 11-06-2023, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I don’t recommend using the black plastic front guide or the original upper guide bolt
Old 11-06-2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What is wrong with the sprockets? They don't normally wear out. I think they are integral with the VVT actuators/ phasers. I would not bother with them unless there is visible wear.

Say "no CEL:S that relate to the cam" makes me think there are CELs; there are a lot that don't seem to relate to cams that do.
I have some emissions related codes. 2 have been there for ages as the rear o2 grounded out and took probably a diode in PCM out (codes related to heater). A new one is from low tank pressure (think it's from the cheap evap solenoid and canister valve I threw in once upon a time, swapping them back out and got a new gas cap to try to narrow it down). My concern with the sprockets is I get the traction lights and whatever else come on from time to time, I've already replaced the solenoids in the past.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I don’t recommend using the black plastic front guide or the original upper guide bolt
The car has 255k miles, and I only need to squeeze maybe 30k more. Think it will hold for now? In the market for a salvage ss to swap drivetrain into this one, so I'd rather dump money into that engine overhaul.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Most likely a stretched timing chain or broken front guide
Old 11-07-2023, 05:53 AM

In my 96K 2.0 I changed zero sprockets. Only did the job because the front guIde broke. Except for that, there was zero evidence of guide wear, sprocket wear, or chain stretch. Had I not order parts ahead of time and knowing what I know now, would have replaced the just the front guide, the two tensioners with OEM, the shaft seal, and the engine cover gasket, in that particular case. Today, now the the ZZP improved front guide is available, I would have used that.

Next change job, I will inspect the system before ordering parts. If it's a VVT, I will pay particular attention to the phasers. The first time, I considered only sprocket wear. But they can get damaged internally, and noisy, especially due to solenoid problems, I suspect.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 11-13-2023 at 02:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.2 LE8 VVT Sprockets