Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 2.4 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 PM

2006 2.4 hesitation

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a slight hesitation between 45-55mph.
Feels like a slight drag/delay when maintaining a constant speed. No jump in tach and vehicle idles smooth. Brand new K&N air filter did not improve this and I filled up with 93 octane which did not seem to make a difference either. Anyone else experience this. No check engine light. Before I take in to the dealer I thought I would post to see if others have experienced this. Never owned a car that went back to the dealership as much as this one and although they usually take care of any problems, the frequency of issues is getting annoying. Thanks for any reply
Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 AM

I've noticed the same thing, kind of like a "flat spot" in the accelerator. You push a little and nothing happens so you push more and it surges and you have to let off. Right?

One of these days I'm going to find out exactly how to duplicate it and then take it in and see if there's something that can be done to correct it. Annoying but not so much as to cause any concern in my case.

Not really sure what all problems you're having but mine's been a joy... once I got the rotors shaved.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 PM

Since your petal is electronic..rheostat like..its possible that at that certain position it may be worn/dirty, ever have a volume knob do this on a radio? An 06, with lots of miles and no doubt that may just be the area that gets the most use..don't know if its accessible but contact cleaner may be the ticket,,unless its a sealed unit.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input. I took the car into dealership today and of course they could not duplicate problem. However they updated computer with newer trans software updates and I have to admit that the probelm seems fixed. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM

That's good news! Can you be more specific like what was the exact wording of the fix/part? So when I take mine in I can tell the Service Manager what was done to fix yours.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Czechman
So when I take mine in I can tell the Service Manager what was done to fix yours.

Originally Posted by CruzHHR
However they updated computer with newer trans software updates
Theres your answer. Tell them the problem and ask that they input the latest software program.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Excellent! Thank you ChevyMgr.

I was curious if there was an update code or something. I don't like wasting their time trying to figure out something I'm not making clear.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Sorry for the delay. No specific code number on my service invoice. The invoice states that a software update for TCM found---reprogrammed TCM with updated software calibration. Seems to have merely changed the shiftpoints. Vehicle shifts smoother. I still feel a very very slight drag/hesitation at 50mph at constant speed/pedal. Sine they could not find the first time around I think that they could never duplicate now. You would have to have a history with the vehicle to feel the hesitation So as of now 95% better. We'll see if this was truly a fix or a software band aid. Still a little skeptical
Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 AM

When you had the trans re-programmed, was it under warranty? I'm having the same problem with my '06.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 PM

Yes the vehicle was under warranty. Still feel a very slight surge 45-50mph. Has not gotten worse but then has not gone away either. I guess I don't notice it as much as the sound of my steering column rattle (I'm on my second column and have had steering shaft replaced) and to top it off brakes are acting up AGAIN (rotor vibration). Vehicle still covered on extended warranty (2006). Tired of taking vehicle back over and over for the same crap

Quick Reply: 2006 2.4 hesitation