Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 HHR Blower Motor AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM

2006 HHR Blower Motor AGAIN!

Guys, I changed the resistor, still nothing! How do I check to see if the blower is bad before I take it out? I can spin it if I reach in.

The plug that comes off of it has 2 wires, one red and one brown. The brown one has power to it constantly when the ignition is on and when I run the fan switch through all the positions but the thicker red one never gets power??? I checked and all the hvac fuses seem to be good???

I want to be sure this blower is bad before I take it out.

Thx!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM

You have power to the Brown wire which is the feed so the problem isn't going to as simple as I first thought.
Ready to do some research. 1st go to this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/look-what-i-found-18371/ on in the 1 st post go to that site that is given, using the login and pw of library. Go to the auto repair and get to yr model ect then you need to look for the wiring diagrams and choose the one for AIR Conditioning and look at DRAWING 1. I did get to it and saw the blower motor and all of that but it would be easier if you can look at all of that for yourself. I may have listed the above steps in the wrong order but you should find it by the end of the week I booked marked that site and saved the diagram on my computer and printed up some for my reference if I ever need them. Good luck to you, and hope this is the help you needed. Oh and this time nothing should be censored like last time.That orn wire or Red as you say will go through the heater control swicth and then goes to ground. It you connect it to ground, I bet the motor will run or should unless it is shorted out from the water problem
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM

WOW! That is awesome thanks! I'll check it out. What are your thoughts? BC
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by kuzzins
WOW! That is awesome thanks! I'll check it out. What are your thoughts? BC
Since you had that water leak, I would be afraid that the blower motor maybe shot. Didn't one guy in your other thread say the motor and etc cost about 200. If that was it, I would be calling some salvage yards in the area.

Check this site to look for parts. http://car-part.com/
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

If you never get a 12V reading, then looking at those wiring diagrams, you have an open in you blower motor. If there was an open in a wire further down the line, then you would be getting 12V on both wires. But something in the blower is not allowing voltage to flow through it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Have you checked the fuse too?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Ya I checked the fuses. Im checking the power to the blower by unplugging the 2 wire plug from the blower so when I say I am only getting the test light to light up on the brown wire it is when it is disconnected from the blower. I really hate to have to change that blower, it looks like I need to take the whole dash apart to do it!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM

BTW... Thanks for that link I found one out of a 2005 Cobalt that only 20 miles from me for $20 !!!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Founding Member

2006 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blower Motor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Name:  blwr1.jpg
Views: 23264
Size:  21.3 KB

Remove the right sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement .
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Compartment Replacement .
Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.

Name:  blwr2.jpg
Views: 24354
Size:  18.4 KB

Remove the lower blower motor cover retaining screws.
Remove the lower blower motor cover.

Name:  blwr3.jpg
Views: 22186
Size:  19.5 KB

Remove the blower motor nuts.

Important: Cut through the case as straight as possible because the motor cup must be reused. In order to prevent damage to the component, do not cut any deeper than necessary to remove the motor cup.

Remove the blower motor and cup from the lower case by cutting through the case between the circular ribs around the motor with a sharp utility knife.

Name:  blwr4.jpg
Views: 19964
Size:  19.5 KB

Release the blower motor retaining tab and remove the motor from the cup.
Installation Procedure

Name:  blwr5.jpg
Views: 19919
Size:  9.0 KB

Install the blower motor (1) into the motor cup (2) that was cut out of the lower case.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Install the blower motor nuts (3).
Tighten
Tighten the nuts to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

Attach the service ring (4) to the motor cup (2) with the screws (5) included in the kit.
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 1.8 N·m (15 lb in).
Name:  blwr2.jpg
Views: 24354
Size:  18.4 KB
Install the blower motor and service ring into the HVAC module using the screws (5) included in the kit. Make certain the blower motor electrical connector is pointing rearward in the vehicle.
Tighten

Install the lower blower motor cover.
Install the lower blower motor cover retaining screws.
Tighten

Connect the blower motor electrical connector.
Install the I/P compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Compartment Replacement .
Install the right sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement .
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by kuzzins
BTW... Thanks for that link I found one out of a 2005 Cobalt that only 20 miles from me for $20 !!!
Typo?

Quick Reply: 2006 HHR Blower Motor AGAIN!