Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2007 HHR 2.2L trouble code 604

Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
TAK

2007 HHR 2.2L trouble code 604

Check engine light comes on so I pop into Autozone. They check it for me and the code is 604, "memory failed, probable cause failed ecm". Oh great, I'm thinking, only 57,000 miles, what now? Last week it was the power steering motor (which I changed myself thanks to this forum, thank you!), now this. They quoted me $279 for the part with a $68 core charge.

My questions are these:

1. Do I have to change it out? Any resets available instead?
2. If I do, is it fairly straightforward?
3. I haven't checked anywhere else yet, is this the going rate for the part? I will check this after I post and report back, just want to get this up there because I am about to take a trip, which brings up the next question
4. Am I OK driving it until I fix it? I have probably put 500 miles on it with the light on, it's not blinking of course. Last time it was the MAP sensor, I cleaned it. I will probably put 200 miles on it in a day trip pretty soon, should I worry?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 PM

I'm guessing the code is a p0604.
It's an internal fault of the PCM. I would check the battery.

Low battery voltage during cranking can cause strange thing to happen.

I would also disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the code and see if it returns before you go too far with this problem.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Technical Moderator

And check the connector to the ECM/PCM. And check the fuse box top to bottom connection.

IF that is the problem check Ebay or other online GMParts stores. Pretty sure you will still need a GM Service technician to flash the new module, but the "physical install" is no tools plug it in.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Administrator

X2 for Lucky and Donbrew's advice, start simple and go from there, I had a P0604, my battery had a dead cell the voltage was low and fooled the ECM , a new battery and cleared the code no issue since then that was April 2011. I check the fuse box for the loose connection every oil change so I have not had that particular issue
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 PM
TAK

Will do

It was a P0604, I abbreviated. I will check all this, starting with the battery, which is about a month old. That's about when the check engine light came on now that I think of it.

Thank you, you guys save me money every time! I will reply again with results.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by TAK
It was a P0604, I abbreviated. I will check all this, starting with the battery, which is about a month old. That's about when the check engine light came on now that I think of it.

Thank you, you guys save me money every time! I will reply again with results.
Then check that the battery cables are connected nice and tight, also check the red cable connector at the under hood fuse box they sometimes get loose. If the car got jump started when the battery died, was it done correctly?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 PM

X2 this connection has caused a lot of strange issues.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 PM

Hi TAK,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with your vehicle. I understand that you have had a diagnosis done for this concern. Was this preformed at the dealership? Please let us know if you would like to get this service done at the dealership. We will be glad to assist with setting up an appointment. If our assistance is needed, we can be reached via private message. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-24-2014, 04:23 PM
TAK

Sorry for the delay...still working on this problem. I didn't try to jump it in the driveway; I would have used the positive terminal upfront plus a place to ground.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 PM
TAK

Thanks for the question. The preliminary diagnosis was done at Autozone with a meter. I prefer not to take it to my local dealer at this point for a $79 diagnostic charge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 HHR 2.2L trouble code 604