Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 2.2 starting hard, runs bad, surges

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:05 PM

2008 2.2 starting hard, runs bad, surges

I have recently and suddenly developed a problem with the 2008 HHR with 2.2 (manual trans).

Background info. I had recently added about 5 gallons of fuel. (at first I thought this was the issue but apparently not) I burned that fuel up and filled the tank when it indicated about 1/16th full and added injector cleaner (large size)

After I added a can of injector cleaner I have driven the vehicle about 50 miles with no changes or benefit.

The car starts hard. ie, turn the key, engine cranks for a few seconds, doesn't start or stay running. Turn off key, try again, same symptom. Usually on the third or fourth attempt it will stay running.

The vehicle surges and bucks while accelerating through the gears. At cruise speed or at idle the engine runs smooth.

The fuel economy is horrible. At least 10 mpg below usual.

Past history of cyl #2 misfire but no symptoms ever accompanied this code.
During one start attempt it threw a code indicating a lean condition.

I pulled number 2 and 3 spark plugs and they look fine. They are the AC iridium plugs it came with. (85000 miles on vehicle).

I switched the coil packs between #2 and #3. During testing and diagnosis it threw another #2 misfire code but I was connecting fuel pressure gauges, etc and don't give weight to that under the circumstances.

I cleaned the throttle body, inspected the intake boots, cleaned the air filter and housing, looked for wires or hoses disconnected and nothing found.

When I clear the codes and drive it, it will run bad but will not generate a code.

I rigged up a fuel pressure gauge an connected it at the rail port and best I can tell I am getting about 30 to 33 psi at idle. It doesn't indicate any pressure with the key on but not cranking. I don't have any specific specs on the pressure but from what I can glean from the internet it should be 50 to 60psi? (any confirmation of this would be helpful)

I intend to replace the plugs but don't suspect them.
I believe there is no fuel filter other than at the pump on this year vehicle. Is that correct?
If nothing else works, I guess I am looking at a fuel pump assembly but the abruptness of this situation doesn't seem like this is the likely culprit based on past experience with fuel pump issues...
Thanks for any info.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM

My 08 did the same thing. The fuel pump lost pressure, after replacing the fuel pump it fixed the problem.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tim75901
My 08 did the same thing. The fuel pump lost pressure, after replacing the fuel pump it fixed the problem.
Was your pump covered under the emissions or extended warranty? I am still under 100,000 miles but not sure what the coverage is since it has been changed. I think the 08 coverage was more generous than it is now.

Chevy Manager, any input on that?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you fill the tank on top of the injector cleaner like the directions usually say? The way I read your procedure, was you poured the injector cleaner into a nearly empty tank and the drove it. If I read that correctly, you could have done some damage to seals,filters,injectors,catalytic converter etc. or just loosened up junk that is now clogging things up.

Misfiring on #2 does not usually mean what it sounds like, you need a "smart guy" to look at it. The error codes only direct the technician to the correct point on the correct error tree, the name that the software gives the P number is pretty much irrelevant.

Lean condition could be an O sensor or an injector, or the catalytic converter.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM

you should have a min of 50psi when you turn the key to run. You might have to cycle the key 1 time to prime. It should hold 50psi for 30min. if not its bad. 30-33psi won't get it done
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Also running with very low level of gas can cause the elec fuel pump to run hotter, since gas cools it..

And the fuel pump is listed on the power train warranty coverage. See Part # 3

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/07-09-10-11-powertrain-parts-coverage-list-22231/
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you fill the tank on top of the injector cleaner like the directions usually say? The way I read your procedure, was you poured the injector cleaner into a nearly empty tank and the drove it. If I read that correctly, you could have done some damage to seals,filters,injectors,catalytic converter etc. or just loosened up junk that is now clogging things up.

Misfiring on #2 does not usually mean what it sounds like, you need a "smart guy" to look at it. The error codes only direct the technician to the correct point on the correct error tree, the name that the software gives the P number is pretty much irrelevant.

Lean condition could be an O sensor or an injector, or the catalytic converter.
I filled the tank first and then added the injector cleaner after about 2 miles of driving (to acquire the stuff). Also this problem occurred before I added it so don't think I hurt anything.

Regarding the code, I realize the computer is not the all wise guru. I am just reporting what codes have shown up in the past.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
you should have a min of 50psi when you turn the key to run. You might have to cycle the key 1 time to prime. It should hold 50psi for 30min. if not its bad. 30-33psi won't get it done
There was no fuel pressure indication with the key on, only when running.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

So what does that tell you? It's your fuel pump!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Sounds like how mine was doing a while back. I had stuck valves and a short in the fuel injector.

Quick Reply: 2008 2.2 starting hard, runs bad, surges