Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 rusting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM

If you cover it with Por 15 won't that block the drain holes?

And I did not mean this in a sarcastic way or anything, I'm serious. Wouldn't it cover up the drain holes when you spray it on?

Last edited by urbexHHR; 07-08-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM

I haven't seen a car rusted in many years. Doesn't the GM warranty cover rust for a specific period?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
I haven't seen a car rusted in many years. Doesn't the GM warranty cover rust for a specific period?
It has to be rusted through.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the POR-15 tip guys! While I'm going to wait at least another year on fixing the HHR doors, my Trailblazer has the same issue on 3 doors. I've done it once, but it came back.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM

I was able to check a new HHR out in the showroom today and examined the seams closely. I did not see any indications of either poorly placed or inadequate amounts of sealant and paint coverage was very good. This does not eliminate the possibility of corrosion from within though if there was contaminates at the folded seam. As long as it did not void the warranty, I don't see any reason why you could not use a thin, creeping rust proofing product which would not plug any drain holes. Seams like being proactive here would possibly save you paint & repair labor bills later.

Motoretro
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
No, you make sure you poke something thru each one & keep them open...

If It were me, I'd have the door panels off, & paint the inside first.. Rust is curable....Just needs treatment..
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid

And I did not mean this in a sarcastic way or anything, I'm serious. Wouldn't it cover up the drain holes when you spray it on?
You do not spray it. That would be a mess.

You would just take a foam brush and brush a thin coat on,

Also the HHR has large drain holes so covering them would not be easy with this coating as it is not that thick.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by motoretro
I was able to check a new HHR out in the showroom today and examined the seams closely. I did not see any indications of either poorly placed or inadequate amounts of sealant and paint coverage was very good. This does not eliminate the possibility of corrosion from within though if there was contaminates at the folded seam. As long as it did not void the warranty, I don't see any reason why you could not use a thin, creeping rust proofing product which would not plug any drain holes. Seams like being proactive here would possibly save you paint & repair labor bills later.

Motoretro

The problem is not on the inside it is in the folded seam and gets under the paint surface on the out side of the door. That it is not a fast rust and would take a while to do any major damage. But it time it would be damaged.

The way the HHR door is it makes it easy to see since we have a large lower door.

The issue is to get the rust in the folded seam. Not an easy task. I wax the seam and dry it at every was and it still did it on only two doors.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 PM

I just had my 08 and my fathers 07 repaired under warranty. To my suprise they removed the doors and used a tool to unbend the lip of the door cleaned the rust and repainted/resealed the door. It seems that the dealer are doing there best to corect the rust problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 PM

Oh, I guess I thought it was a spray... I've never seen it before, but that makes more sense then. I suppose I should really look at trying to fix mine...

Quick Reply: 2008 rusting