Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2009 HHR LS Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:33 PM

2009 HHR LS Cruise Control

I have read multiple posting concerning cruise control issues but I haven't discovered the solution for my issue yet. This is a new to me 2009 HHR with around 100K miles that has no error codes or Check Engine Lights but doesn't have working cruise control. The button on the wheel lights up when pressed but the Information Center DOES NOT say Cruise Enabled and when I press the Set button at the correct speed, it doesn't hold it.

I have checked the third brake light and I have all 4 bulbs in the third brake light lights up. A dealer that I took it to recommended that I replace the "fuse panel" and I had them replace GM # 19119175 Fuse Block and the Cruise Relay #13502676 but I still do not have Cruise Control. The dealership wants me to pay for all of their diagnostic time and for replacing the Body Control Computer and the Powertrain Control Module. I told them to take a hike and I came here to to see if I can get some help in figuring out what to do.

Any ideas as to what to look at?

If it is the BCC or PCM, can I source those from junkyards and install them myself or do they require programming to work correctly?

Is there an aftermarket solution that might work?

Thanks for your time
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Technical Moderator

They saw you coming! Report them to the Better Business Bureau.

The fuse box was a crazy thing to suggest as a top 10 fix. There is no cruise relay
The BCM or the ECM being the problem is far fetched and the suggestion of extremely lazy mechanics.

Are the high mounted lights LEDs?
Is this an automatic transmission?
When you push the button does it try to hold the speed then release? Or, just do nothing.
Is there any evidence that after market things were installed and removed?
Tow wiring?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:36 PM

Hello Don,

I am not sure about the high mounted lights being LED or not? Would I have to open up the light to tell? It is an automatic with 2.2L engine. When I press the Set button, it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell. I do not believe that any aftermarket radios or tow kit was installed and removed.

Thanks for your quick response!

I hate being taken!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Technical Moderator

If they did that work seriously consider the BBB.

LEDs are brighter.

Do they work when you step on the brake?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 PM

FYI, the DIC will not give you the "cruise enabled" message, until you press the set- button. Probably doesn't change the story...

Another thing that affects the cruise is the Brake Pedal Position Sensor.

You must be traveling at least 25 mph.

A problem with the traction control system could disable the cruise system.

Section 3 in the owner manual is the information about cruise control.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If they did that work seriously consider the BBB.

LEDs are brighter.

Do they work when you step on the brake?
They seem to be normal bulbs and all 4 bulbs light up when I press the brake.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
FYI, the DIC will not give you the "cruise enabled" message, until you press the set- button. Probably doesn't change the story...

Another thing that affects the cruise is the Brake Pedal Position Sensor.

You must be traveling at least 25 mph.

A problem with the traction control system could disable the cruise system.

Section 3 in the owner manual is the information about cruise control.
I was Interstate speeds when I was testing it and while it is possible that it is Traction Control; TC light on the dash has come on a few times when it was wet and I was cornering so I think it is working.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Technical Moderator

There may be a hidden Cxxxx or Bxxxx code for a TC/ABS problem. A good code reader should work, cheap one won't. These codes do not set the CEL. They remain in history for 40 ignition cycles.

I guess it could be that just one contact on the clockspring is bad, if the horn and other buttons work. Or, dirty contacts on the switches.

Just to be sure you are operating it correctly; First turn it on, then set the speed. turning it on is not enough, you still have to push set.

Here is some diagnostics:
Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 AM

I noticed that several of the steps involve replacing the BCM. Can I source that at a junkyard and does it have to be programmed to the new vehicle that it going in? Is that something that can be done without a dealer?

Looks like I need to break out the multimeter and do some checking.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Technical Moderator

Really doubtful BCM is bad. You would need a new one and have it programmed . The Odometer is in BCM memory so care must be taken.

Remember that these tests are for the component replacers at a dealership. Testing wires is not in their wheelhouse.

My money is on somebody spliced a wire and that wire is now broken.

Quick Reply: 2009 HHR LS Cruise Control