Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2010 heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 AM

Angry 2010 heater problems

I own a 2010 HHR; now my question is: Has anyone had any problems with their heater / front window defroster? My question or my problem i: Mine will not work. It will not turn on. . . nothing I get no sound no click no no heat nothing. It worked fine one day, and then I went back out a couple days later, got in it, started to pull out the driveway, turned on the defroster (or tried to) to defrost the window and got nothing. I had to park my car and borrow a friend's car so that I can go uptown that day. Is it or could it be something simple like a blown fuse? Or does anyone think it might be something that's going to cost me a whole hell of a lot of money to get it fixed? Mind you I'm a single female stuck in a wheelchair so if anybody has any suggestions that could help me out here I would really really really appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

You need to describe the problem a little better than "will not work".
So, is the blower (fan) not running ? If it's not, have you tried all speeds on the fan switch ?
Could it be a fuse ? Maybe

FYI. The defroster is not going to work very well until the engine warms up.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:06 AM

There's usually 1 of 2 things that go bad on GM ventilation sytems, either the blower itself or the blower resister. Blower failures were really common on 2005 GMs and older. I have not seen one on my 2006 HHR or 2008 GMC Sierra, both have over 150k miles on them. Blower resisters and blower motors are cheap, but being in a wheel chair you will not be able to replace either yourself. You'd have to call around to shops and find out the going rate. They are going to have to troubleshoot either way because I stated the most common issues. It could still be something else.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Yes, more information is needed. Is it just defrost that doesn't work? Does the HVAC system work at all?

Potentially relevant fuses/relays:
Inside fuse block
Fuses #10 and #16
Relay #30

Underhood fuse block
Fuses #9 and #22
Relay #15

You can check these by swapping with a known good fuse/relay. It is very important that the relay is installed in the correct orientation. Some appear upside-down. The replacement must be installed in the same way.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM

To answer everybody's questions / or to describe the problem better:

Q - Is the blower (fan) not running?
A - No it's not.
Q - Have I tried all speeds on the fan switch?
A - Yes. I tried putting it on low and then I tried turning it up too high and it did not work on either setting.
Q - Is it just defrost that doesn't work?
A - No, it's all of it. Defrost does not blow air, the heater does not blow air, the air conditioner does not blow air. There's no air coming out of it at all - no matter what I do. I tried putting the heat temperature on cold, I've tried turning it to hot. I've tried turning the speed setting on low, then medium, and finally on high. I I tried turning it on heat, I tried turning it on air - it doesn't matter. No matter what I do there's no air coming out of it at all. There's not even a sound or noise when I try turning it on like a hum or a click or a buzz or anything to even indicate that I even turned the unit on.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Founding Member

With those facts, you need either a new blower motor and/or resistor or a remote possibility it is the control head, but not likely.