Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2011 HHR won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:01 PM

2011 HHR won't start

Hi, I'm new to this but....in need of help. Have had to jump my 2021 Hhr several times in the past few days. It jump easy. Went to auto zone to have my battery tested, it was fine do were the starter and the alternator. Don't know where it what to do next. Read about maybe just a loose fuse under the hood. Checked them, they all went in a little bit but still didn't work. does anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Does it turn over when you try and start it via the vehicle battery?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Check the ground wires connected to the transmission case just down to the right of the oil filter housing.
Check the ground wire connected inside of the engine bay at the rad cradle just behind the drivers headlamp.
Check the ground wire at the battery in the trunk , both ends need to be clean and snug.
Check the fuse in the positive cable st the battery.
Does the starter engage and turn the engine over?
Are there and codes?
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to on?
Are any of the fuses you wiggled burnt?
Sounds dumb but do you have fuel what does the fuel gauge read?
Please let us know
Old 10-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Does it turn over when you try and start it via the vehicle battery?
It just makes loud clicking.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site!
Check the ground wires connected to the transmission case just down to the right of the oil filter housing.
Check the ground wire connected inside of the engine bay at the rad cradle just behind the drivers headlamp.
Check the ground wire at the battery in the trunk , both ends need to be clean and snug.
Check the fuse in the positive cable st the battery.
Does the starter engage and turn the engine over?
Are there and codes?
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to on?
Are any of the fuses you wiggled burnt?
Sounds dumb but do you have fuel what does the fuel gauge read?
Please let us know
Going out to check all the grounds you suggested.I don't hear anything other that a clicking when trying to turn it over.Will double check the fuses. Has 1/4 of tank of gas. No codes. The service tire monitoring light came on for some reason. Thanks for you help.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Since it starts via a "jump" then the starter is ok. It kinda points to the starter not getting enough amperage to start off the battery, which points to the power cable coming from the battery to the point under the hood, or a bad ground at several points like Oldblue suggested.

To determine if it is a Power (rather than a ground problem), I'd try jumping from the vehicle battery, to the positive connection under the hood (long cable).
Old 10-12-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Since it starts via a "jump" then the starter is ok. It kinda points to the starter not getting enough amperage to start off the battery, which points to the power cable coming from the battery to the point under the hood, or a bad ground at several points like Oldblue suggested.

To determine if it is a Power (rather than a ground problem), I'd try jumping from the vehicle battery, to the positive connection under the hood (long cable).
The auto zone girl's battery tester must have been broken or user error because it was my battery that was bad. Fortunately for me the place I got my car had installed a GPS that also reads the health of your battery, it was reading only 10volts.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Terryjgill
The auto zone girl's battery tester must have been broken or user error because it was my battery that was bad. Fortunately for me the place I got my car had installed a GPS that also reads the health of your battery, it was reading only 10volts.
It was a real pain in the *** to change the battery. But at least I'm mobile now.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Glad it is resolved.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm. I hope that the new battery solves your problem.
But.....10 volts does not necessarily mean a battery is bad. Just means that the voltage is low. There could be a charging problem causing that low voltage.

My point is. Some remote GPS monitoring system can only monitor the systems voltage. It can't tell you if the battery is "bad" or not.

Like I said, hope the new battery fixes your problem, but I would suggest having your cars charging system tested. Just to be sure.

Quick Reply: 2011 HHR won't start