Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2011 Model year Rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 06:02 PM

2011 Model year Rust

Good evening.

I am a 2005 PT Cruiser owner, and I really like the vehicle, as I've always wanted one since they first came out. Now I have one, and have had it for going on two years but only operate it in the "non-salt months" up here in New England.

In any case, I have the opportunity to purchase a low mileage (45K) 2011 HHR LT that I wish to use as a daily driver year-round. I've wanted one of these as well. Such a good looking little car it is.

My PT has zero rust, and it seems to me that the aforementioned HHR has zero to little - sight unseen.

I plan on taking a ride to go view/test drive it tomorrow and I'm interested in gaining some tidbits of general knowledge as to what to look out for - "rustwise" - mechanical issues aside.

Any input would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richie C
Old 01-02-2022, 09:24 PM

Typical spots bottom of the doors, The fuel and vapor lines just in front of the driver side rear wheel.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome-

Northern cars & Salt..
Old 01-03-2022, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Look up between the body and running board. A wand mirror, a flashlight and a magnet are good tools to take along.
then there’s the rear quarter panels over the wheels, bottom of the front fenders above the running boards.
If the PO got it rust proof sprayed, look for 3/8 inch plastic plugs
Old 01-14-2022, 02:44 PM

These cars are relatively rust-resistant, especially compared to other manufacturers. GM's seem to be that way in general - never had one rust badly, same for late model Jeep and Chrysler (except the XJ Cherokee). Mine's came from the northern Ohio area which is a big salt area (salt mines are prevalent in the SE Michigan/Northern Ohio area) and it's pretty solid, except you can see a tint of rust right at the edge of the doors, as described by others. I won't touch a used Ford anymore - the rockers just turn to dust - show me a 2000's Ford Focus without a rusted out rocker and I'll show you a leprechaun riding a unicorn. The only badly rusted out HHR's I've seen look like they'd never been maintained or even washed.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:46 AM

I just wanted to convey my many thanks to those who replied. The info has been quite helpful.

I'm still trying to arrange appointments to look at a few different cars. Most seem to be on Facebook Marketplace. However, on that venue there seems to be a few "flaky" people. Bad photos, no photos of the interior & etc. One word replies...

In a way, I can sort of understand a few - as I'm sure that they get a lot time wasters and people with no money.

I would really like a rust-free one with low milage (under 100K) in white, with running boards. Chrome package would be nice, but not necessary.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:52 AM
Administrator

HHR’s find you, it’ll let you know it’s the right one for you!
Old 01-16-2022, 10:54 AM

I go on Craigslist and surprisingly Nextdoor everyday because while I like my car, I'm not opposed to upgrading to one with more options. The thing is to be a little flexible and be ready to jump on one immediately if you find one you like. Rust is a deal killer with me because I hate and don't have the patience for bodywork - mechanical stuff I can usually fix or get a good deal on repairs. Private sellers actually seem to be the most honest and the best deals - I stay away from the third-tier used car lots. The used car market in general is crazy right now and good HHRs are becoming more and more rare as I'm finding out, especially the special models like Panels and the SS.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Try finding a 2007 Premier Spring edition in Cappuccino Frost Metallic, Hens teeth! And I passed on one in 2011! With the cashmere leather interior!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...-edition-7692/

I’m still looking!
Old 01-18-2022, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Try finding a 2007 Premier Spring edition in Cappuccino Frost Metallic, Hens teeth! And I passed on one in 2011! With the cashmere leather interior!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...-edition-7692/

I’m still looking!
Wow, look what just showed up on the local Craigslist:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...433917026.html

Quick Reply: 2011 Model year Rust