Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

After a week in the shop...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM

After a week in the shop...

After sitting in the shop for a week, and replacement of the lower I/C to intake hose, I now have a vacuum leak.

I opened the hood today to inspect the work that was done. All seemed in order, so I started the car with the hood open. I was greeted with a sssssssssssssss sound. At first I thought it was air passing the throttle body plate, but as I listened closer, I found a vacuum leak where a sensor bolts to the top of the intake manifold. I doubt that the leak developed since we got the car back from the shop.

Does anyone know if there's a dealer with a decent service department near Wilmington, NC? Is there a way to complain to GM so as to pressure my local dealer (Jeff Gordon, no less) into bringing their service department up to par? I understand there are going to be problems with a new vehicle from time to time, but you'd think that someone would have noticed the problem before they shipped the car back out the door.

The leak is where the sensor on top of the manifold (under the black tube running across it) attaches to the manifold. Anyone know what sensor that is?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM

These service manual diagrams are terrible. I can't find that part after skimming through a couple of hundred pages trying to figure it out. You have gotten me curious. You could always take it off and get the part number off of it and google it if no one chimes in.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 PM

The sensor under the black tube is a Upper Map sensor.

If it is leaking there or is losing that much vaccume you should have a code or a the very lease it would be running odd since it could effect the Map reading.

Also your boost and vaccume pressures may be off.

Odds are they never touched this sensor since there was no reason to when changing to lower tube.

Could be the lower tube Map sensor below it you are hearing. They do have to modify [TSB in TSB thread] that one to make the GM turbo upgrade Bosch Map fit right. Sounds in the engine compartment can be misleading in where they really are.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM

If you heard it, they should have heard it. Have you tried to contact Jeff Gordon? Tell the service manager at the dealer that you want to talk to the GM rep. There should be a way to contact GM in your owners manual.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
If it is leaking there or is losing that much vaccume you should have a code or a the very lease it would be running odd since it could effect the Map reading.

Also your boost and vaccume pressures may be off.
No doubt. The notes that I got from the dealer indicated that they altered the ECM parameters. It wouldn't surprise me if GMPD had the dealer change the parameters around so that the sensor readings are now at 'baseline', to keep it from setting a code. Now the ECM probably thinks the leak is 'normal'.

Odds are they never touched this sensor since there was no reason to when changing to lower tube.
I would also think that they never touched it. But it is also possible that they removed it, thinking it was the MAP that was generating the code. Especially since it was obvious that nobody at the dealer had a clue about how this engine operates, nor did they want to take the time to diagnose the problem, beyond replacing parts based on codes that were set. I don't have a lot of respect for 'parts changers', nor the GM dealer that continues to employ them at a cut rate while charging a steep hourly rate for their work.

Could be the lower tube Map sensor below it you are hearing. They do have to modify [TSB in TSB thread] that one to make the GM turbo upgrade Bosch Map fit right.
My SS is still stock, with 175 miles on the odometer.

Sounds in the engine compartment can be misleading in where they really are.
I agree, however it's hard to argue with the location of this leak. When you move your finger across the seam where the sensor meets the manifold, the 'loud sucking sound' :) changes.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 AM

Sorry GMPD is the performance division so they were not the ones to change anything.

Sorry I thought you had the upgrade. I mixed you up with someone else. I see in the photo you have the stock sensor and connector.

Sounds as it is out of place or lose. Did you check the bolts to see if it is lose.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Sorry GMPD is the performance division so they were not the ones to change anything.
The service writer told me that they had to contact GMPD for guidance on how to diagnose and fix the problem. GMPD basically told the tech what to do over the phone.

Sorry I thought you had the upgrade. I mixed you up with someone else. I see in the photo you have the stock sensor and connector.

Sounds as it is out of place or lose. Did you check the bolts to see if it is lose.
No, I shouldn't have to tinker with a vehicle that's under warranty. I bought it new, it had 4 miles on the odometer when I got in to test drive it. I'm fairly certain that the I/C pipe split within the first 50 miles of driving it. Here's the history if you're interested:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/cluster-known-jeff-gordon-chevrolet-service-department-32072/
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by windsmith
The service writer told me that they had to contact GMPD for guidance on how to diagnose and fix the problem. GMPD basically told the tech what to do over the phone.

No, I shouldn't have to tinker with a vehicle that's under warranty. I bought it new, it had 4 miles on the odometer when I got in to test drive it. I'm fairly certain that the I/C pipe split within the first 50 miles of driving it. Here's the history if you're interested:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32072
Thanks but I have seen plenty of you rants already. No need to keep linking them as there are plenty to find.

I know you are upset but it will get fixed and you will have thousands of happy miles. Others have suffered much worse issue than you and once resolved were happy campers.

Just figured you had the ability to check two scews to see if the map was loose.