Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Air Condition Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:54 PM

Air Condition Compressor

I think there may be a trread for this already but could not find it, so it we go. My compressor at times is really noisy, just wondering if this is normal for the HHR? It seems to be after runnning it for a long time when I come to a stop, I can here it over the radio and engine. It seems to work great, just noisy at times.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:04 PM

I can only speak for mine - it's not noisy at all.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:15 PM

are you sure it's your a/c making the noise? could be your fan.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM

Whats A/C? Only 25 degrees Sun Morn in NW Wisconsin.

Now in Texas its 92 with 93% Humidity... Where is My HHR when I need it?

My fan is noisy when I get to hear it..
Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 PM

That is true, it could be the fan. BamaHHR, do you here the fan? I will have to let it sit and have the fan kick on an see.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 05:51 PM

My fan has been noisy when it's damp or rainy. I don't know about A/C. I rarely use it, and haven't had a chance in the HHR. Now if you want to talk heaters.......
Old 05-22-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by coolsurf
BamaHHR, do you here the fan?
I haven't noticed it. I'll pay close attention tomorrow and let you know for sure.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:59 PM

Thanks for all your imput, I notice more noise when eather the compressor or fan kick in, but haven't gotten under the hood to lissen.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:15 PM

I paid attention on the way home (a/c on and no music) and heard nothing. Sorry!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by coolsurf
I think there may be a trread for this already but could not find it, so it we go. My compressor at times is really noisy, just wondering if this is normal for the HHR? It seems to be after runnning it for a long time when I come to a stop, I can here it over the radio and engine. It seems to work great, just noisy at times.
Yes, it's most likely your compressor. I've already had mine replaced once and the new one can still be heard (it was loud). It's not as loud as the original but I still hear it whining. According to the dealer, GM knows about the noisy compressors and have decided having a little bit of a whine is acceptable and this applies to everything using this model compressor which includes the HHR, Cobalt, Saturn, and Aveo. I've been in others where it can be heard (like mine), and others that are completely quiet. Although GM won't let the dealer replace mine again (because it has an acceptable noise level) the service tech did make a notation in my file and assures me that he'll keep track of other complaints and they'll replace it again at some point.

Quick Reply: Air Condition Compressor