Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Am I missing a screw here??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Am I missing a screw here??

Seriously...open your tailgates....look up where the latch is..there are 2 holes..one on each side....one of mine is filled it with a fastener and the other is just a hole...about 3 weeks ago I noticed a lot of noises and rattles coming from the back when I went over bumps etc...I'm wondering if I lost a screw or fastener or whatever...take a look..do you guys have something in both holes?

Goose
Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 AM

must resist "screw loose" comment....oh damn!!!!

Seriously, I'm not sure. You are talking about the hinges at the top of the tailgate, right?

Let me go check...

Just checked mine and I have two bolts in the top side of each hinge and two connectors of some sort on the bottom side of each hinge.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Seriously, I'm not sure. You are talking about the hinges at the top of the tailgate, right?

Nope...I'm talking about where if you open your hatch and look dead in the middle of the hatch while it is up in the air you see the latch that keeps it locked while in the down position...on either side of that latch no more than a few inches from it is 2 holes...one of these holes on my hatch on the right has a screw or fastener in it...the othe side does not...I wondering am I missing a screw or fastener here that could be contributing to the rattle noise

Is that a better visual?

Goose
Old 05-17-2008, 12:37 PM

My latch is completed surrounded by the plastic shroud that covers the back portion of the inner hatch.

I'll take a picture of mine when I get back and post what it looks like...that might be easier.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Sorry please disregard this reply, I missed the part about where the latch is located, I thought he meant at the top of the hatch where the hinges are located!!!!

Mine has a rubber/plastic plugs in those existing holes. When I install my spoiler back there two of the holes lined up with the holes in the spoiler.

TomR
Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Here we go..this should make it easier...sorry..my photobucket was on the outs

Goose
Old 05-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Goose, you are missing a ''panel plug''. That is a fairly cheap plastic fastener that probably rattled itself loose and fell out. Go to your GM dealer and buy one, but i am pretty sure they won't sell you just one, but a bag/box of 10. If they try that....wander over to the GM bodyshop area of the dealership and just ask a bodyman if he happens to have a matching one ( pretty sure he will and just give it to you!).
Old 05-17-2008, 01:17 PM

You're missing a plug Goose. I broke mine off when I was removing my rear wiper. Just go to your auto parts to the section where they sell the "HELP" products. They have some plugs you can get for them and they are very inexpensive. Just make sure you get one large enough that it's snug and won't pop out.

And yes...for such a small piece of plastic, they sure do make enough racket rolling around behind the plastic.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 AM

I have no idea how it came out...and what is even weirder is I can't find it in the back of the car anywhere?? I think I would have noticed it falling on the ground if it fell out when opening the hatch...

Wow..I've never just had a plug fall out before on it's own??

Goose
Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 AM

those are such cheap, brittle fastners, it could have snagged a detailers rag during prep, and no one noticed it gone missing. One of those things you HAVE to look for, to notice.

Quick Reply: Am I missing a screw here??