Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Another strange noise from right rear (interior)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 AM

Another strange noise from right rear (interior)

I also have a strange noise from the right rear of my car but it is an interior noise (I think). Sounds like a metal to metal vibrating noise. It does it mainly on washboard roads especially when at highway speeds making right turns like an exit or slow curve. I would almost say it sounds like the gas cover vibrating but it should not be vibrating and should not be making that much noise inside?
I have changed out and put lowering springs on it and honestly I do not remember if I had the noise before or not. The noise did not bother me at first but now it does. I do not think it is related to the lowering springs as it sounds like it is coming from the right side of the rear hatch near the top. Hard to tell though when driving. I could not find anything unusual or loose around rear door and it seems to latch good.

In crawling around under the car I did find some of those plastic nuts that hold the lower plastic bumper cover pieces were missing. I need to fix that but I am quite sure that is not the cause of the noise.

Any ideas? Thanks, Curly
Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Rear noise

Look at your license plate. Does it have a decrative trim install on it? Are the little bumpers install under the plate?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks but that was not it

Thanks good idea but that was not it. It has the rubber bumper pads for the license plate on there. I did find one of the screws loose but no signs of abrasion or anything. I tightened it and took it for a test run and the noise is still there.
I guess I will have to have someone ride in the back while it does it.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Angry

As much as i love my SS, i have to say it has more interior rattles than any ride i have ever owned, I have not taken it to the dealer yet ,except for an oil change. It has 10,900 miles now.

I have noticed a bunch of times a metal to metal click inside rear pasenger side. (no idea what it is.
Headliner sounds like it is going to compleatly fall on my head very soon. (velcro glue bad) . The sun roof is loose to the point where you can push on it while its closed, and make it click (loud) which it does half of the time -sometimes it is tight and makes no noise ? so i turn up the XM and have delt with it. untill this week , the newest rattles are from the front door speakers which now rattle the door panels (both) - loud !!!! It is really starting to Pis_ me off !
This weekend i will remove all personal items , drive and mark where the sounds are coming from, and take to the dealer for fixes. i have a feeling it will be a lot of visits to get them all. I feel these rattles will only escalate as the years go by. dam !
Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 AM

I have the same noise!

I have a little clicking noise sounds like it is coming from passenger side door. It is a very fast, clicking sound, sounds almost like a little electric sparking sound. Not very loud at all and it does not bother me nearly as much as the vibrating sound coming from the rear.

I agree about the noises and I except some of it. These cars were built lightweight to save gas and help performance so the do not have as much insulation and as heavy duty built.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:21 AM

I had a bunch of new buzzing sounds this morining. Every one of them was a tree leaf that wedged in somewhere.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 PM

Ok, one down one to go.

Ok, one down one to go. I found out what the clicking noise is and will have it fixed soon. The rapid clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from door or headliner is the blower fan motor. A leaf or something has got up in there and is rubbing on the fan. Sounds sort of like how we used to do when we were kids by putting the baseball cards in the spokes of our bikes. Well the Chevrolet service guy said there was something in my fan motor. I did not beleive him as it sounds like it is coming from somewhere else. I tested it a whole bunch and sure enough that is where it is coming from.
Now the only one left is the noise from the right rear of the car and I now think it is the Goldline lowering springs. No clue how to fix that though......... Curly
Old 11-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
Ok, I found out what the clicking noise is and will have it fixed soon. A leaf or something has got up in there and is rubbing on the fan. Curly
I had a thumping type noise in a Toyota PU I had yrs ago every time I turned on the fan. Wish it was only a leaf. I pulled the heater fan on the inside of the truck and a big fat dead mouse fell out of it along with some little ones. At least I solved it before they began to decay.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 PM

Then I hope it only a leaf....

I hope it only a leaf...... I did not have time to leave it but felt better knowing it was something very minor. I was thinking if it was something in the head liner it would be hard to fix it with out creating new ones.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Thats ok, I had a noise coming from the inside of my driver's door. It drove me crazy until I realized that there was a leaf stuck between the left fender and door jam.

Quick Reply: Another strange noise from right rear (interior)