Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

auto lights not turning off

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:01 AM

auto lights not turning off

Back in October I purchased a certified 2011 HHR LT from a local Chevy dealership. Great car. Sporty look and very functional as well. However I have been having problems with the auto lights turning off. Back in December after turning off the car, I noticed lights were still on but assumed they would go off but when I tried to start the car the next morning and had a dead battery I knew they didn't. Lights were set to the auto on function. Last week the lights did the same thing. Noticed drivers side headlight was out. After getting were I needed to go I turned off the car and headlights stayed on. I restarted the car and turned auto lights to off. Called dealership for repair appointment and they could not tell if whatever the part that needs fixing or replacing is covered under the certified warranty. Any help in locating problem would be helpful if they decide I have to pay for fixing the issue.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Any other odd things happening? Possible involving the shifter?

I'm just guessing that the shifter interlock switch tells the auto lights to turn off, since they go off when you put it in park. If it's a standard I don't know the trigger.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 AM

no other odd things. Car is an automatic.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Can you take it out of park without pushing the button or brake?

I'm still shooting in the dark. Somebody had the problem in my memory don't remember resolution. Give the search box a try.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 PM

If you're interested in sending us your VIN we'd be happy to look more into this on our end, lriker. Since we're not technicians we can't diagnose your vehicle online. However, we'd be happy to do what we can.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 AM

Brake has to be pressed in order to take car out of park.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:23 AM

I'm pretty sure I can put my car in park at night and leave it run without the lights ever turning off.

The timer for turning them off only seems to activate after I turn off the car and remove the key, which I believe also turns on the interior dome light (?)
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 PM

Isn't the timer in the body control module [BCM]?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:38 AM

In daylight my the DRLs turn on/off immediately upon moving the shifter into/out of park. Thus my Assumption that the shifter switch is the trigger.

I suggest reading the Owners Manual for a description of how your particular car is supposed to operate. Then you can start figuring out what's wrong.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 AM

From Mitchell OnDemand: Sorry about the wall of words.

Circuit/System Description
With the headlamp switch in the ON position, the headlamp switch headlamp ON signal circuit is grounded
through the turn signal/multifunction switch at G201. In response to this input, the body control module (BCM)
provides ground to either the headlamp low beam relay control circuit or the headlamp high beam relay control
circuit. The position of the headlamp dimmer switch determines which relay coil is supplied with ground. The
BCM supplies ground to the relay coil circuits, if the headlamps are necessary. The underhood fuse block
supplies battery voltage to the relay coil and switch circuits. The low beam headlamps operate when the BCM
grounds the relay coil control circuit to the relay coil of the low beam headlamp relay. This energizes the low
beam relay causing the switch contacts to close. With the switch contacts closed, battery voltage is applied to
the LT LOW and RT LOW beam fuses through to the left and right low beam headlamps. When the headlamp
high beam relay coil is energized, current flows through the LT HI BEAM and the RT HI BEAM fuses to the
high beam headlamps. With the headlamp dimmer switch in the high beam position the BCM sends a message
via serial data to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) requesting the IPC to illuminate the high beam indicator.

For automatic lamp control (ALC) the body control module (BCM) receives an input from the ambient light
sensor with regards to outside lighting conditions. The ambient light sensor provides a voltage signal that will
vary between 0.2 and 4.9 volts depending on outside lighting conditions. The BCM provides a low reference
ground and 5-volt reference signal to the ambient light sensor. The BCM monitors the ambient light sensor
signal circuit to determine if outside lighting conditions are correct for either daytime running lights (DRL) or
ALC when the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. In daylight conditions the BCM will command the
DRLs ON. During low light conditions the BCM will command the low beam headlamps ON. Any function or
condition that turns on the headlamps will cancel DRL operation.

Quick Reply: auto lights not turning off