Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Automatic Lights convert to Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 01:10 PM

Automatic Lights convert to Daytime Running Lights

Hey all,

First postTrying to import my 09 HHR to Canada and need daylight running lights. I currently have the automatic lights, but they need to always be on for me to pass inspection. I was told by a Chevy dealership mechanic that the conversion can be super quick if I just snip a wire on the relay that controls controlling the auto lights. This is supposed to disable manual control of turning on and off auto lights. Can you guys help me with this?
Old 09-17-2021, 01:43 PM

09 HHR has DRL. The headlights only during daylight when "auto" is selected, that is the default.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Administrator

I have a 2011, American issue 2LT, no changes to the headlights, they are already DRL . Do not cut any wires.
I run mine in automatic headlight position 24/7 , no problem.

Here look it up in the 2009 Owners manual

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...vrolet-HHR.pdf
Old 09-17-2021, 06:37 PM

to the forums!

Check the underhood fuse block, fuse #31 and relay #28
Old 09-17-2021, 06:55 PM

I've been meaning to post about this, I have possibly the same issue.

With engine running and sunlight shining on the dashboard light sensor. I switched relays with the horn. The horn works with either relay, the DRLs don't work with either.

I probed with fuse #31 in place, there is no voltage at either side of the fuse. With the fuse out, I probed both sides of the fuse receptacle, still no voltage. As a test, I probed the fuse right above it, 12 volts.

I know the DRL circuit is a little odd, any thoughts?

Should I move this post to a new thread?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 PM

They don't go on until you put it in gear. Not sure how it works with 5 speed.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:57 PM

Alright, with the 5 speed, it's tied to the parking brake. If the brake is set, the DRLs don't come on. Thanks again donbrew!

I probably knew that at one time, but the memory is less than perfect...
Old 09-17-2021, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Alright, with the 5 speed, it's tied to the parking brake. If the brake is set, the DRLs don't come on. Thanks again donbrew!

I probably knew that at one time, but the memory is less than perfect...
And, if you turn on the fog lights it will turn off the DRL's.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:38 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Macaustock
Hey all,

First postTrying to import my 09 HHR to Canada and need daylight running lights. I currently have the automatic lights, but they need to always be on for me to pass inspection. I was told by a Chevy dealership mechanic that the conversion can be super quick if I just snip a wire on the relay that controls controlling the auto lights. This is supposed to disable manual control of turning on and off auto lights. Can you guys help me with this?
I'm not sure if I translated correctly ...
In Canada, regulations require running lights on a vehicle and these lights must always be lit and automatically turned on.
I think this is a simple solution. You have foglights (or holes in the bumper for installing foglights). Connect your foglights directly to the ignition switch. Turning on the ignition will automatically turn on your foglights and it will be on while you are in a running car.
I'm not familiar with Canadian traffic rules, but I think this is a real plan. If the traffic rules have special requirements for running lights and the fog lights do not meet these requirements, you can always choose the right device and install it in the standard fog light holes. It will be beautiful, neat and legal. And you don't need to cut the standard wiring.
I don’t know how to connect the headlights to the ignition switch (not an electrician). But I'm sure the task is not difficult for any auto electrician.

Quick Reply: Automatic Lights convert to Daytime Running Lights