Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery Drain-Parasitic draw

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Battery Drain-Parasitic draw

Hi all! New to the forum, but not new to working on cars. I searched for this problem (below)and found an OLD thread so I thought it would be better to start a new one.

I have a 2008 HHR LS. Battery goes dead within 1.5 days. I fully charged the battery with a battery tender for 3 days, left the rear hatch open so I could put a DVOM between the battery and negative cable. I have a 5 volt draw. I pulled every fuse and relay in both the under-hood and in-car fuse panels without a drop in the draw. I spent about an hour doing this.

Then, I repeated it with hatch closed (so watching the meter for me through window), Same results.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

How old is the battery? Have you tested the battery with a load tester?
5 volt draw? do you mean 5 amps?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
How old is the battery? Have you tested the battery with a load tester?
5 volt draw? do you mean 5 amps?
Yes, AMPS, not volts....typed while frustrated....:hissyfit

Battery is 3 years old. The internal argument I am having with myself is that the battery (no matter how old) cannot CAUSE a draw. Am i wrong?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

ahhh AMPS - cool - no problem.

Yeah 5 amps is way too much - I have no idea what the "normal" draw would be due to the electronics (radio clock/security system etc. etc.). I'll have a quick search here and see if anyone has ever measured it...... BRB.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Using the search tool and looking for "parasitic draw' found several references as to causes:
- cell phone or other accessory left plugged into the power outlets overnight
- incorrectly installed aftermarket XM/Serris radio system
- one even had to "Replaced BCM 12.9 and programmed" by the dealer, whatever a BCM 12.9 is?????
- ahhhh here we go - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...battery-50213/ the member measured the following:
>> With the bcm awake it read 1.23a
>> With the doors closed and the bcm asleep it read 0.01a or when switched to mA it read 0.19mA
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Using the search tool and looking for "parasitic draw' found several references as to causes:
- cell phone or other accessory left plugged into the power outlets overnight
- incorrectly installed aftermarket XM/Serris radio system
- one even had to "Replaced BCM 12.9 and programmed" by the dealer, whatever a BCM 12.9 is?????
- ahhhh here we go - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...battery-50213/ the member measured the following:
>> With the bcm awake it read 1.23a
>> With the doors closed and the bcm asleep it read 0.01a or when switched to mA it read 0.19mA
Good stuff.....

I ensured nothing was plugged in (cell phone charger etc)

nothing aftermarket installed- however, out of an abundance of caution, i removed the radio to see if it affected the draw, and it did not.

as part of removing the radio, the following was also disconnected (to remove radio- climate control system, power port, hazard switch, instrument panel dimmer rheostat, pass airbag light.

I suspect the BCM may be bad, but I am struggling to verify that. when I pull the fuse(s) for the BCM, nothing changes--still at 5A draw.

I am totally miffed on this one!!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 PM

No LEDS anywhere? They tend to latch.
Check your power outlets for shorts, somebody may have thought they were cig lighters (they are NOT).

Strange, 2 almost identical threads on one day?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Dang!!! Well, I've run out of ideas.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Yeah, two in one day - kinda strange.

Oh - here is a thread regarding needing a replacement BCM: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-42/bcm-25919/

Note the info from ChevyMgr: It will have to be reflashed and you have to make sure it has the same part number and broadcast codes posting on the label as what you have. Used BCMs are not always reliable, but if you get a warranty it's worth a try.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 PM

By "putting a DVOM between the battery and the negative cable", I hope you meant that you disconnected the negative cable from the battery terminal and put the DVOM in series by bridging the gap, and that you made sure you had your meter on the proper range if it is not auto-ranging. 5 amperes is a whopping amount of current for a vehicle that is shut down.

Last edited by kornellred; 05-13-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added words
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
No LEDS anywhere? They tend to latch.
Check your power outlets for shorts, somebody may have thought they were cig lighters (they are NOT).

Strange, 2 almost identical threads on one day?
What do you mean by LEDS? If you are asking if there are any lights that stay on, no.

i went down and disconnected the back seat power outlet, and still no luck.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain-Parasitic draw