Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Black Chrome Wheels?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Black Chrome Wheels?!?

My HHR Premiere Edition has the black chrome 5 spoke wheels.

Two of these wheels have been replaced already due to the "black chrome" peeling off the wheel. (The chrome itself is in fine shape)

I am seriously considering uping my warranty (I get those "extended warranty" mailings from GM all the time) in an effort to combat this.

Does anyone else with the black chrome wheels have this issue? I have had the tire guys already mount the weights on the inside of the wheels so that the weight does not scratch it.

I also have the issue with the bowtie on the back that peels...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 AM

Dont get them replaced, ask for them to be refinished. The cobalts had this done under warranty and the aftermarket refinishing holds up much better.
And the bowtie will go regularly, the best fix is to paint it. Black would really go nice on yours IMO.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM

i had mine replaced...... the problem was and is that the new ones wont match so they had to replace all 4. the newer ones are darker. I havent seen any refinished or anyone that does it except a company out of calif.

the first set 2 were damaged in freight. it took 3 times to get them all the same color and not damaged. but i would make sure they replace ALL 4 or make sure they match.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 PM

I've posted on this before - our "black chrome" wheels are nothing more than plastic. Check it out - tap on them. Biggest gyp by GM -- buy a
"special package" and it comes with plastic rather than the real chromes on lesser models.