Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Bouncing gauges and no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Bouncing gauges and no start

So this all started to happen yesterday when I turned into a driveway and deadlocked the steering wheel a little hard. Some weird stuff happened almost as if the car restarted but the security light stayed on. So I shut the car off and restarted it. No problems no lights all was normal and continued that was for the remainder of the day. So this morning I go to start the car and nothing and I mean absolutely nothing no dome lights no odometer reading no buzz nothing. So I figure the batt is dead somehow and just hop in my truck. Once I realized I forgot my book bag I went back in and saw that the odometer was on along with the dome lights so I push in the clutch and all is lost again and couldn't get it back. Also I had bought a cheap splitter for the cigarette outlet that is suppose to read the voltage output of the car and when I plugged that in about a week ago it would never read above 12v I chocked that up to 1.a cheap unit and 2. Possibly regulated voltage to the outlet. So with all this happening I'm beginning to wonder if the alt has failed and I have been running on battery voltage for the past week (which is hard to believe because I drive about 80 miles a day 5 days a week) Can anyone enlighten me ?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Have your battery load tested, it sounds like it has gone south and won't be coming back!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Have your battery load tested, it sounds like it has gone south and won't be coming back!
I keep thinking the worse like a keypass issue or am I just overthinking this? Also is there a way to open the trunk w/o power or do I have to put power to the front hookups and do it that way
Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

How to open the rear hatch with a dead battery is covered in detail in your Owners Manual.
Or a Search here should bring up an old thread about it.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:52 PM
Technical Moderator

Cig lighters not regulated. Why would you think passkey before battery? Psskey is passive, it doesn't break. The security light will come on with a dead battery & lock your key in the ignition.

Link to Owner Manual in my sig.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Cig lighters not regulated. Why would you think passkey before battery? Psskey is passive, it doesn't break. The security light will come on with a dead battery & lock your key in the ignition.

Link to Owner Manual in my sig.
It's my first car with a chipped key. And coupled with the fact I'm a pessimist doesn't help haha. I have some piece of mind now so thank you for that. I'll have to jump it and test my batt and alt
Old 03-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Technical Moderator

0Please READ the Owner Manual BEFORE you jump start!!! It is not a 65 Buick.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM

0Please READ the Owner Manual BEFORE you jump start!!! It is not a 65 Buick.
I'm aware of how to do it. Front post labeled positive by the fuse box (not the power steering lead) and negative on the strut tower. I read it before I even had this issue. Somethings are better to know in advance instead of on the side of the road
Old 03-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Technical Moderator

BTW, that's also the easy way to open the liftgate with a dead battery.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM

BTW, that's also the easy way to open the liftgate with a dead battery.
I figured. I'm surprised there isn't a way to do it with just a key. I don't remember seeing a way to open it manually

Quick Reply: Bouncing gauges and no start