Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Burning oil

ok so this afternoon i checked my oil and there seems to be very little to nothing left i dont no y my car is burning oil or ever were to start looking any thoughts . oh i am not driving my car intill i get oil in it
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM

How did you check your oil? Car running? Level ground? How many miles on your car? Do you change the oil yourself? If so was it low last time you changed it? I doubt you are burning it unless you have a ton of miles on the car.... But anything is possible
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

First......If you had very little to none left, you would have noticed excessive engine noise, "valve train" rattle, smoke coming out the tail pipe and the engine probably would have seized.

I doubt you are out of oil. Make sure the dip stick goes all the way down. Some of the dip sticks, stick a little as they get near the stop on the stick.

Oh, I'm not sure, but I don't think the car will run without oil sufficient and precise oil pressure. The valve train is moderately controlled by the oil pressure.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM

last time i checked my oil it had plenty in it i use the synthetic blend oil and i do my own oil change. my mileage is 101XXX i cant remember the last 3 numbers. my car really is not making any weird noises. i just put a quart in todat and now it shows on the dip sitck and yes i checked it on levle ground
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Technical Moderator

I have found that it takes 20 minutes or so of cooling down time for all of the oil to drain down to the oil pan. If I check mine right after I shut it down, it seems low 20 minutes later it's fuu again. I guess it's because of all those micro channels in the gallery.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM

I'm only at 93k and my car is starting to smell like burning oil after I drive. There's no oil loss though... No oil leaks, car doesn't smoke or anything.

I don't know if I'm burning oil, or maybe my cats are shot... Clueless, but the car isn't throwing a code, I'm not losing any oil, the oil is relitavely clean on each change. Something's up, but I can't say what.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlueMetallic
I'm only at 93k and my car is starting to smell like burning oil after I drive. There's no oil loss though... No oil leaks, car doesn't smoke or anything.

I don't know if I'm burning oil, or maybe my cats are shot... Clueless, but the car isn't throwing a code, I'm not losing any oil, the oil is relitavely clean on each change. Something's up, but I can't say what.
If it smells like burning oil, take a good look around the exhaust system on the engine end. Especially around the manifold area.
Doesn't take but a very small leak onto a hot exhaust to create a nasty smell.
Plus. If it's burning off the oil, there will be very little evidence of the leak.
Any dark wet area around or adjacent to the exhaust parts could be a trouble sign.

This kind of leak usually will not trigger any type of trouble code.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Or, messy oil change!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlueMetallic

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear of this. Please let us know if you would like for us to look further into this for you. We can be reached via private message if needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

He might be smelling the exhaust from the infamous Flex pipe leaking.

Quick Reply: Burning oil