Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Compressor Won't Kick In

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM

A/C Compressor Won't Kick In

Wouldn't you know it? The first 90+ degrees we've had all year, and the A/C compressor is giving me problems!

Started last week. Whenever it's hot out, when leaving work, I usually turn on the fan to blow the hot air out of the vents for awhile, and then turn on a A/C for a bit, just to cool down the interior. Did this on Wednesday to cool things off a bit - turned off the A/C after a few minutes. All seemed to be well, until I tried to do the same on Thursday. Uh oh - no cold air from the A/C! Friday morning, I checked out the fuses and made sure the diode was firmly in place. Everything was okay. Stopped in to the local Advance Auto and had them check to see if the Freon was low. No, actually, the reader showed the compressor was overcharged, so it wouldn't kick in.

What would cause this to happen? I haven't added any Freon, and all the fuses and circuits seem to be okay. What's the problem, and what's the solution? Thanks! Rich
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sammyrye
Wouldn't you know it? The first 90+ degrees we've had all year, and the A/C compressor is giving me problems!

Started last week. Whenever it's hot out, when leaving work, I usually turn on the fan to blow the hot air out of the vents for awhile, and then turn on a A/C for a bit, just to cool down the interior. Did this on Wednesday to cool things off a bit - turned off the A/C after a few minutes. All seemed to be well, until I tried to do the same on Thursday. Uh oh - no cold air from the A/C! Friday morning, I checked out the fuses and made sure the diode was firmly in place. Everything was okay. Stopped in to the local Advance Auto and had them check to see if the Freon was low. No, actually, the reader showed the compressor was overcharged, so it wouldn't kick in.What would cause this to happen? I haven't added any Freon, and all the fuses and circuits seem to be okay. What's the problem, and what's the solution? Thanks! Rich
Are you familiar with automotive AC systems? Reason for asking, is because you confused me when I read your thread.
The "reader" you refered to above. Are you talking about a set of AC gauges that you attach to the car to service the system.
Not sure how they came up with it being overcharged without engaging the compressor.
As far as what's wrong. Could be any number of things. Just have to start checking out the system to trace the fault.
Sorry I can't help out any more. I know about auto AC systems but trying to do an internet diagnosis on one can be a real pain.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Are you familiar with automotive AC systems? Reason for asking, is because you confused me when I read your thread.
The "reader" you refered to above. Are you talking about a set of AC gauges that you attach to the car to service the system.
Not sure how they came up with it being overcharged without engaging the compressor.
As far as what's wrong. Could be any number of things. Just have to start checking out the system to trace the fault.
Sorry I can't help out any more. I know about auto AC systems but trying to do an internet diagnosis on one can be a real pain.
I agree, clutch not engaged would show high pressure at the gauges. My first thought was the relay. If you are handy with a Volt OHM meter set it at 20v
and see if you have power to the compressor clutch. If you don't may be the relay or fuse. If you do then the clutch would be suspect. Be careful of moving parts. If you don't know what to do ask a competent person to help.
Get a second opinion, clutch not engaging when all was cooling fine does not point to a charge issue. Good Luck
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM

LOL - Yeah, the "reader" is the guage on the Freon bottle. Supposedly, when the bottle was attached to the inlet side, the guage went right to the read - way on the right - indicating it was overcharge - or, over compressed, however you want to put it. That's all I know about their parking lot diagnoisis.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM

really think ya gotta start with having a good ac shop put a full ac guage manifold on the system to, at least, start to diagnose....
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Static charge(compressor not engaged) will be around the 110-120 range on both the high and low side with a full charge.The system pressure equals out when the compressor is not in use. Of course it showed in the red area if the compressor wasn't engaged.
I would recheck the fuses and relays. You could swap out the AC relay with a known good one to test it( a non essential relay such as the washer fluid pump one would work)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Pulled out another relay and new fuse and tried it, but nothing happened, so I guess it's off to the dealer to see what's wrong. Thanks for the help on this - appreciate it!
Rich
Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 PM

A/c crompressor clutch won't engage

My 2010 is having the same problem
I swapped a good relay for the a/c crompressor one but no luck. BTW the relay I removed from the A/c crompressor worked the lift gate. I also had 125 psi charge in the system. The 10 amp fuse and diode we're good. The compressor is not locked, I can rotate it by hand.
What did you find out at the dealership about your situation?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 PM

It's been nearly 6 years ago, Sammy is probably not coming back. But maybe.

Check your owner manual for any other fuses and relays that may be part of the system.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Technical Moderator

CEL? Get the codes read anyway when it is not working, I bet there will be a P0128 lurking around. Maybe the pressure switch is bad.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Won't Kick In