Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C just stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:07 PM

A/C just stopped working

Hi all. Havent posted much lately but lurk when I can.

2008 LS Panel 2.2 auto.

I have been searching but cant find enough to satisfy my issue. My a/c just suddenly stopped working this morning. Noticed it right away. Wasnt like a slowly getting warmer thing. It seemed to try to cool once at stop light but that quickly went away. I dont have gauges to check pressures but will have someone do that tomorrow. Doesnt seem like it should be a leak as it was so sudden. Hope it isnt a bad compressor.

1. Compressor is running
2. Radiator fan is running
3. Fuses relays all check out good
4. Inside fan works on all speeds
5. Blend door is working
6. Temp. Control working properly
7. There is no condensation on the lines so it is like the compressor isnt pumping

Is there a pressure switch that could have gone south?

I do a lot of mechanic work but I am no a/c guy so I dont know where to go next.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. You guys are always awsome with the information.

Vince
Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Technical Moderator

If the compressor is running and no condensate means no refrigerant. Or internally broken compressor. Are you sure the clutch is engaged?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Yes sir. The clutch will cycle on and off. I had my wife turn the a/c on and off while I watched.

Thank you donbrew. I was hoping I wouldnt have to change the compressor but seems you have confirmed I will probably have to.

Thank you for the quick reply. You guys are always a huge help.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Before you write off the compressor, at least hook up some gauges. Could just be a low freon issue. Could have a leaking condenser (road debris ? )

Fwiw. The pressure switch on the AC system is to turn the compressor off if the charge is low. If your compressor is engaging, then the pressure switch should be fine. If the compressor is cycling on/off too frequently, that is another sign of a low freon charge.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:43 PM

Thanks. I will have the gauges hooked up tomorrow. The compressor does not cycle off. It stays on continually.

I looked at Rockauto and they suggest kits. (Comp. - condensor - expansion valve) Would you recommend I replace everything if it is the compressor?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Technical Moderator

Yes, and if it has a dip tube that too. And flush what is not replaced. That is what is recommended anyway; you need to worry about metal shavings.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 PM

Excellent. Thanks again. Just what I wanted to know. I will keep you guys informed of what is happening.

Why couldnt this happen in October or November....lol. Its still mid 90's here in Houston.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

If the system is low and/or you find the problem, I'm guessing you're going to do this work yourself ?
If so, when "opening" the system to replace parts, you will need a good set of gauges and a vacuum pump to complete the job.
If you've never done automotive AC repair work before, best to leave it to the pros.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 PM

Yeah i will be doing the work myself but my coworker who does all of our refrigeration at the school district where I work will vacuum the system and recharge.

I just went out and rechecked the condenser for signs of damage and to see if I could see any obvious signs of leakage but found nothing. I did however start the HHR and was rechecking some of the components and was very surprised to touch the lines and one was cold. Weird. Was blowing cold air too but it only lasted for a few minutes before it started blowing hot air.
Pretty sure the compressor has taken a dump if my understanding of the system is correct. Will know for sure tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:39 PM

A bit of an update:

Before I could get home today and get the gauges on to check pressures, the a/c worked nicely all tne way home.

It would work for a few minutes at a time over the last day or so but would not last long. I am beginning to suspect the expansion valve as the problem. I know the compressor clutch has been running. I watched it for long periods of time when it would go from cold air to hot air.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: A/C just stopped working