Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cannot Open Storage Bin on Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 PM

Unhappy Cannot Open Storage Bin on Dash

Hi all,

I've read a few threads where people have discussed similar issues related to their dash storage bin being stuck in the closed position, but I've really gone and screwed things up.

My bin has always worked perfectly (2011 HHR 2.4 LT), until it opened once and wouldn't close (or I should phrase it "stay shut"). I did have some things in it like some papers, a pair of sunglasses and a few CDs, but it wasn't overloaded at all. I don't believe that papers are stuck in the lock, though I could be wrong.

It felt like a danger to have it sticking up while driving, so I pushed it "get down!" "get down!" "get down!" and you know what happened next. It got down and stayed down. I have been able to lift up the sides and slide a few things out from it (a CD or 2, a few receipts) to free up as much debris as possible - but nothing in the center area where the button is will budge. I have tried using u-shaped creations to get inside and behind the latch to pull it towards me (I don't actually know what the latch looks like, but that's what someone suggested to try), with no luck.

I can pull the 2 sides up high enough that I believe I can access the 2 screws in the front, but if I can't fully get into the compartment, I don't know how to access the screws in the back (there ARE screws in the back, right?)

I feel like taking a sledgehammer to the lock mechanism and just busting it open, dash be d@mned, but my homo erectus senses prevailed.

Anything???
Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Oh that sinking feeling !!

Here's the deal.

The 2 screws in the front are all that holds the complete compartment in place.

The latch operates as follows.

When you push down on the button the latch moves toward the rear of the car.

It attaches to a small round metal piece with a lip up that is spring controlled.

If you can get the 2 screws out you can just lift the complete box out of the dash.

That does nothing for opening it but it may allow you to find a better way of opening it.

It comes New as a complete part lid and all.

To replace it is approx. $125 new but a junk yard should be cheaper.

Hope this helps a little.

SF
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 PM

You are The Bomdiggity

Well, Mr. [That's a wizard, not a gnome, by the way],

I am SO thankful to have this information, as it helps me to visualize things much more clearly. And I really am glad to hear that it's only the screws in the front that I need to reach, because that means I CAN take it out and go RAR!!!!!!! I should videotape it for all of us HHR owners who have shed tears over this.

Thank you so very much, Silverfox!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:46 PM
JCC

Storage Bin on Dash

My 08 had a recall on that lock, like the Ing.. sw. did. I would look for a recall list for yours
or call or go by the dealer and check with them. If on a recall list I would just take it to the dealer and let them handle it... What you got to lose?
Good luck
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JCC
My 08 had a recall on that lock, like the Ing.. sw. did. I would look for a recall list for yours
or call or go by the dealer and check with them. If on a recall list I would just take it to the dealer and let them handle it... What you got to lose?
Good luck
I had a 2011 that had a different problem then the latch.

One of the 2 side arm brackets broke and created a difficult opening issue.

Chevrolet ordered a complete new box and I installed it.

Not sure what the recall issue is about.

Many people over fill the box and then force the lid down to close and lock.

In the process they put excess pressure on the 2 side brackets and they either break or get bent so the lid does not fit flush.

SF
Old 05-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by JCC
Good luck
2009 got that fixed.

The problem was that in a crash the door sometimes could open and toss the contents around.
The fix was they mailed a plastic part with some tape on it to keep the metal bar in place that the owner had to stick on.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:25 PM

Yes! Hadn't considered!

Originally Posted by Silverfox

One of the 2 side arm brackets broke and created a difficult opening issue ... over fill the box and then force the lid down to close and lock ... excess pressure on the 2 side brackets and they either break or get bent so the lid does not fit flush.

SF
Thanks, guys, for offering additional ideas. I appreciate the tip about the recall (and it sounds like they sent in such a weak 'fix' to it!). I am all caught up on my recalls, but if I hadn't been, with my car out of warranty, I wouldn't have thought to go to Satan (that's what I call dealerships - HA!)

SF, you have a really interesting point to make that was very important for me to hear, because I could go through the trouble and expense of putting in a replacement, only to find myself causing the problem all over again.

I had said that I didn't consider it "overfilled," yet one thing I HAD been very careful to do was push the contents far to the back when closing. With your point in mind, though, I can see how that would put greater and greater pressure on the arms, which I hadn't even considered a variable in the discussion.

Can I just say how much I appreciate having the compartment (not "now that it's gone" but, as an awesome HHR unique quality)? It's a quick and dirty hideaway for a GPS device or MP3 player, a holder for the pen you can never find when you need to write something down quickly. ETC!!!

Take good care guys. Thanks again. I'll update once I figure this out. :)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 PM

Mine is open all the time (2008) as that is where I keep my Garmin GPS. It is a great place to keep it as it is easy to view while driving.

Good luck on fixing your problem.

Jerry
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Technical Moderator

1 nice un-advertized thing about the bin is that it is climate controlled. Cold when the A/C is on and warm when the heat is on.

Good for lunch, etc.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Here is a few pictures of it out of the dash!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/06-11-CHEVY-HHR-DARK-GREY-CENTER-DASH-GLOVE-BOX-STORAGE-COMPARTMENT-07-08-09-10-/331836644162?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/06-11-CHEVY-HHR-DARK-GREY-CENTER-DASH-GLOVE-BOX-STORAGE-COMPARTMENT-07-08-09-10-/191861081953?nav=SEARCH

Quick Reply: Cannot Open Storage Bin on Dash